Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

Chapter 11 ♚ Damaged Goods

Luke came barreling down on me like a freight train. I braced myself and the only reason he didn't plow through me was because of the time I spent at the gym. I did lose my breath, though.

"Whoa," was all I managed to say.

He lifted his head after having tackled me by the solar plexus, clear brown eyes shining like he'd just been given a gift. "Hi Cora, wanna play?"

"Please," his dad begged, dragging his feet behind his son. The Sheriff was in summer civilian clothes, a short sleeved shirt and swimming trunks a tad too big. "He's been making me run non stop, I need a break."

I glanced towards Luke's mom and found her engrossed in a magazine. Real smooth.

With a deadpan voice I said, "Are you sure you want to trust your son to a perfect stranger?"

Hunter held himself up by his hands on his knees. If he were a cartoon his tongue would've turned into a tie. "I'd be more worried about you but I can't think beyond the need to rest."

"Pretty please?" Luke said, as though this whole conversation weren't about him.

"It's okay," Lena Lee assured me with a pat that was supposed to be friendly, but aimless as it was, fell on empty air. She kept her nose firmly glued in the magazine, though. "Pace will keep an eye on both of you, anyway."

Speaking of, he sat atop the lifeguard tower overlooking the townsfolk. Squinting, because he clearly needed the aviators I still had in my hand.

At least he'd given me the excuse of returning them so I could talk with him. I just didn't want to do it in front of the Perry family. Or every single resident of Silver Grove, for that matter.

I would probably have to wait until he was done with his volunteer shift. Might as well spend the time distracted with Luke.

"Fine," I said, which elicited a squeal that could've shattered glass. I checked that Pace's glasses were still intact, just in case, and put them on so they wouldn't get misplaced. Just in case.

"Let's go swimming," Luke said while he tugged me to my feet.

I glanced at his parents for confirmation and it was Hunter who picked up the hint, saying, "He can swim, go for it."

Hand in hand, we headed to the shore after I shed my shoes and cellphone.

I didn't own a swimsuit, so I wore just a simple t-shirt and shorts I didn't mind getting wet in, even if it might not be super comfortable. The pebbles under my feet were smooth and warm, almost giving me the feeling that I was at a fancy spa.

Except this was way better. The lake water was serene under the soft summer breeze and with the sun so high in a clear day, this struck me as way better than the beach. Or the pool.

I wished I had my family here with me, that it were the three hellions I chased around in the shallow end instead. This was so beautiful, so serene, even the workaholic sister of mine would probably marvel her eyes with the scenery rather than with her emails.

"Look," the little boy said, crouching to submerge his hand in the water and pull something out of it. "I can fish!"

Lo and behold, there was a small and very agitated fish in his hand. The sight made me crack up. If it were me trying to catch a fish with my bare hands, it'd probably take me eight hours worth of attempts. In his yes-can-do attitude, Luke could pluck one right up as if he were a seagull with thousands of years of evolution behind his skills.

I wished I had some of his attitude, instead of being afraid of my own damn shadow.

Grinning, I told him, "Well done, kiddo. What are you gonna do with it?"