Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 23 ♚ Sí, Señor

Our quest to find a house we could move into ended right on the first attempt. An old couple from the city determined they were no longer in good enough shape to make their yearly trips to the summer cabin they owned at the edge of Lake Mary, and were looking to sell it. As soon as it was available, Margaret saved the very first viewing for us.

"Just so you know, there are other people interested in the property," she said as she unlocked the front door. "But I think this is perfect for you guys."

She stepped aside and Pace and I followed. The first thing I noticed was it was so big. From outside, it looked like the cottage of a good witch in an enchanted forrest. From the inside, it was a freaking mansion with ceilings so high it would require a stepladder to change the lightbulbs.

The owners had completely emptied it of furniture, which was why the next thing to draw my eyes was the French doors leading to the backyard. It wasn't huge, but it was directly by the lake and—oh, my. It was breathtaking.

"Wow," Pace said beside me.

The mountains reflected on the clear surface of the lake with such perfection, the water might as well have been a mirror. The different shades of blue were a stark contrast to the shades of rust and yellow of the trees, now that fall was upon us. We could have a view like this every day, just watching the seasons pass together as though this were our private TV show.

"Stunning, isn't it?" Margaret asked. "The kitchen was completely remodeled so it's fully open to the living room. The downsides are there are only two rooms and one bathroom, because it was designed as a vacation home, and not quite as a family home. But the property has enough land you can probable expand the construction."

"It's perfect," I said, leaning against Pace. He wrapped his arm around me and I felt him nod.

"I'm glad you like it! I will let you tour the property in private and if you have any questions I'll be in the yard." As she passed us, she sent us a wink. "It's my favorite part of the house."

The effort to tear ourselves from that view was herculean but we walked the length of the floor plan like she recommended. Now that I'd been working on this business for a few months, I was able to spot details we would need to repair. A couple of them were big enough we should be able to ask for a slightly lower price, but what mattered the most was in excellent shape. The foundations were strong, the trees were far enough from the house they wouldn't become an issue until at least twenty years, there were no signs of rot, mold or pests.

"Can you see yourself here?" Pace asked me, arms wide as he took a turn of the master bedroom.

"Yes. In fact, I want to see myself here," I responded, which made him grin.

"Do you think we'd even need a TV with that view?" Pace asked, chuckling. We both shook our heads.

"Uh, guys. Sorry to interrupt," Margaret said from the hallway that led to the bedrooms. "Hunter just gave me a call and you may want to talk with him."

Pace's brow scrunched up. "Is everything okay?"

Margaret's face was the picture of uncertainty as she gave her cellphone to me. The last time something like this had happened it had been Cata.

A million horrible scenarios ran through my head in a split second, which was also as long as it took me to work myself into a panic.

My voice came out in a shrill as I put the phone on loud speaker. "Hello?"

"Oh, hey Cora," the Sheriff said as though there was no biggie. Which made me sure there absolutely was a biggie. "How are you doing?"

"What's happening?" I asked him.