Wattpad Original
There are 15 more free parts

Chapter 13 ♚ Our Scars

Bienvenida a casa, a voice said in my mind.

Our lips met like a reckoning. No matter how hard I could've tried to stay away from him, the same pull that had our bodies meet in an embrace would have torn down every barrier.

Maybe all roads led here, to Pace Leblanc's arms. He tightened them around me until only our clothes were between us. One of his hands cradled the back of my head, tilting it for access.

When his tongue swept over my lips, a lick of fire traveled all the way down. I didn't even know I could feel this way again.

A moan tore from deep in his throat that only served to stoke the heat. I threaded my fingers in his hair and grabbed a fistful of its softness, pushing him down with more strength so I could explore his mouth. My other hand ran a trail down the muscles of his back and I resented that his t-shirt prevented me from feeling his skin. I had to remind myself it was too soon for that, but all thoughts went out the window when Pace pulled his mouth away.

He didn't let me mourn the loss for long. I thought the pause was to breathe—I certainly needed the oxygen. Instead, he lifted me by the hips and forced me to wrap my legs around him if I didn't want to fall. I gasped, but grabbed on for dear life, especially when he started walking.

"Where are we going?" I asked, voice raspy and out of breath because, while my legs hadn't ran a marathon, my heart just had.

"I just realized we're in the middle of the parking lot and anyone could be watching," he said, not even breaking a sweat as he carried me all the way to the passenger's side of his truck and opened the door. He settled me on the seat and added, "I thought you may want some privacy."

I grabbed two fistfuls of his t-shirt and pulled him to me. Hard.

Tilting my head, I asked, "You were able to think?"

He laughed—or tried. I swallowed his amusement with another kiss.

Even though he was trapped between my legs and closer to home than ever, Pace braced himself against the car instead of holding onto me. He strained so he wouldn't lean on me and it took me a moment to realize he was trying really hard not to make me feel trapped.

I slowed down, melting with the warm feeling enveloping me. Caressing his jaw, I stroked his lips in languid motions. In return, his tongue brushed mine like it was making love to me, unhurried but sure it was the right thing to do.

I had goosebumps all over me by the time we parted for breath. Pace's eyes were hooded as he panted. His lips parted as if to say something, but only the tiniest groan came out.

That made me smile. "I guess your head finally shut down, eh?"

"The one above my neck did, yeah," he said, tearing a surprised laugh from me.

Pace's eyes shone as he pulled away to run both hands through his hair. I couldn't help glancing down and sure enough, the other one was very much awake and active.

"Sorry." He cringed when he noticed what I'd caught sight of. "I'm trying to control myself but it's hard."

"It really is," I said, chuckling as deep red crawled up his neck.

Clearing his throat, he walked around the front of the truck to climb onto the driver's seat. "I'll take you home."

I shut my door and fastened my seatbelt as he started the engine. In profile, his cheek was as red as if he'd spent hours outdoors without wearing sunblock. But it was because I'd caught physical evidence of his interest.

"Ugh," I said, shaking my head. "You can't be for real."

"You don't want to go home?" Pace asked, startled just before he set the car in motion.