Dangerous Places

I was sitting silently on my top bunk looking down at the animals, they were playing the alphabet game, apparently, according to Smile when I asked, it's an urban legend that when you're traveling evil spirits follow, so when passing through particularly dangerous areas they'd play that game to keep them at bay, I was too slow to play but they said it should be fine, barely anyone believes in the superstition and it was mostly just to keep Seedy entertained, I sighed as I leaned against my knees, we've been traveling for two days and so far no one's tried to attack me, so I'm pretty sure that they're starting to loosen their grip, but I was still worried about someone attacking me, I heard the whistle of the train sound and I jumped, it caused everyone to fall silent, the whistle sounded like screams of terror, I heard a groan below me before someone moved, meaning Jack was distrubed, I slowly slid out of my bed and stood beside him, he was laying on his back now with his arm draped over his face, Smile came over and stood beside me.

"Jack...?" I asked quietly.

"Put me out of my misery..." He mumbled.

I looked down at Smile in worry, he jumped up on the bed slightly and nudged Jack's cheek, he rolled over and curled into a ball, he began shaking, I cautiously reached around him and grabbed the cloth I had left on his forehead to help quell his fever, he hissed at me and I just did my best to ignore him, I went over to the kitchenette and opened the fridge, I was told that there wasn't that much water in the carts so I should pointlessly use it, so I've been switching out two cloths with each other and leaving them in cold water in the fridge when not in use, I put that one away before I grabbed the other one and rung it out a bit, I then took it back over to Jack and began carefully rolling him back over, it looked like he was asleep again but I didn't drop my guard at all, I gently laid the cloth on his forehead and his eyesockets opened slightly, he made a hissing sound as he closed them again, I then began climbing back onto my bed, I looked back at the beasts and watched as they continued to play the alphabet game, I slowly closed my eyes, I was exhausted, I haven't been sleeping well at all, I quickly came back to reality when I heard the train car door open, I looked over to see Brian coming in, all the animals ignored him.

"We're out of the valley." Brian said.

"Oh good." Smile said, "Now I can sleep again."

Grinny quickly went over to Jack's bed and jumped up onto it, Smile then went over to the straw bedding and began laying on it, it looked like Seed yawned before he went over and literally laid on top of Smile.

"Stop." Smile said, "Stop, stop, Seed, Seed please."

Seed completely ignored him and continued to lay on top of him.

"Help!" Smile complained, "Help me!"

I heard Jack sigh, so I finally began to get up, I was trying to be cautious so Jack and Seed wouldn't flip out, I carefully went over and to them, I pushed on Seed slightly and he actually got up, I backed off slightly as he began grunting and moving around, I backed off as he found someplace else to sit, I backed up more until I eventually reached my bed again, I quickly climbed back up and stared down at the two of them as they were settling in for sleep, I wasn't sure where Brian went but I guess he was gone, I stared down at the two of them silently before I began to slowly fall asleep, I was exhausted.

I woke up when I heard a loud clunk, I looked around quickly to see Seed and Smile were both up as well, they were looking around.

"What was that?" I heard Jack ask.

"No idea." Smile replied.

I looked down to see Jack was slowly getting out of bed.

"Are we there...?" He asked tiredly, rubbing his face.