Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 26 ♚ Total Surprise

The next month was what the definition of stress should list as an example in the dictionary. We got into a bidding war for the house with another couple, which kept driving the price up. I was thankful I hadn't bought a new car and had instead kept my paltry savings in the bank for this, but my contribution to the cause wasn't significant and I didn't want to leave the whole burden on Pace.

My husband.

Yeah, that took a while to get used to.

In the end, Pace's standing as one of the most respected citizens of Silver Grove got us a good loan from the local bank and we were able to buy the house. My bank balance was pretty much zero but it was worth it. We'd secured the best view of our lives.

Right now, our friends in town were helping us move. I stood in the living room directing the traffic. Shane carried in a couple of boxes I'd marked for the master bedroom, so I directed him there. Brian carted in an assortment of stuff for the kitchen. Pace's buddy from the fire department, Johnson, came in carrying a chair for the living room, where Teddy and Paul hung plants as though they were expert decorators.

Pace came out of the room we'd designated for the baby, dusting his hands off. He wore an oversized sweatshirt and overalls that should've made him look like a country hick, but made my heart skip a beat. I would've loved to take the time to slowly, carefully divest him of his clothes, but there was just no time. Between the craziness of the wedding and then the house, we hadn't had a chance to spend much time alone.

Tonight would be the first night we'd spend in this house together, though. I had high hopes.

He stopped by me to give me a quick kiss. "Are you satisfied with the performance of your employees?"

I grabbed him by the front pocket of his overall and drew him against me. "No, I need to make a thorough inspection of said performance later."

"I made a promise to your dad. Don't make it harder for me to behave," he said in a serious tone, even as his eyes twinkled with the same want I felt.

I lifted my eyebrows. "I'm sorry, what's harder now?"

Pace threw his head back and laughed.

"I brought a gift," Lance interrupted, walking in unannounced. Two guys behind him wheeled in a massive box wrapped in gift paper, complete with a bow on top. "Where's the baby's room?"

Pace and I pointed in that direction, speechless.

"You're welcome." Lance's cheeks were rosy from the cold or from the achievement. Or both.

"I—thank you, but what is it?" I asked.

My boss's boss bounced on his heels. "It's a crib. I figured you'd need one at some point, eh?"

The waterworks erupted with the force of geysers. It was one of my newest party tricks, along with spontaneous puking and cravings, sometimes at the same time.

Every man in the room froze, more or less in the same way anyone would upon coming face to face with a grizzly bear and not a short, four month pregnant woman.

"You're all just so nice," that I said this in a wail only sent them into further panic. Especially Pace, who stood there looking at me as though maybe he wanted to cry too.

"Please stop crying," Lance pleaded with me.

Brian appeared out of thin air and said, "Is there something we can do to make you feel better?"

"Oh, I know. How about chocolate?" Shane asked from somewhere behind me.

"I'm not hungry." I sniffled and then thought it through. "But I could do with some chocolate ice cream."