9. Hogsmeade With a Hufflepuff

October arrived with brisk winds that blew brown and orange leaves around the grounds and a schedule that grew busier with every passing day. For you and Hermione, using a Time-Turners was now second nature. With some more experience under your belt when it came to hectic schedules, you were managing your workloads a little better than her.

On top of your assignments, you had prefects patrols, a tedious job which kept you out past curfew on Mondays and Fridays. Roughly an hour was spent guiding lost first years back to their common rooms and scolding students who were out on purpose, all the while avoiding Percy. He didn't approve of your leniency in not immediately handing out a week's worth of detention just for being out of bed. At the very least, you were paired with Cedric for your Friday shift, who was more fun than your Monday partner, Ravenclaw's Roger Davies.

On top of this, Quidditch practices were more frequent as the season grew closer. The Gryffindor and Slytherin teams trained exceptionally hard for the first match, which was scheduled for the first Saturday of November. Tension between Oliver and Marcus Flint was higher than ever. October was colder and wetter, the nights darker, but there wasn't an amount of mud, wind, or rain that could stop the team from heading out to the field. Even Alicia, who only played as a reserve, grumbled her complaints every time Wood hauled the team out as the sun rose.

About halfway through the month, Hagrid returned. Only now, he wasn't much like the Hagrid you were used to. He'd monotonously teach practical lessons with tame, declawed creatures. His usual happy demeanour was gone. You'd heard from Harry, Ron and Hermione that he was even worse during their lessons with the Slytherins.

Defense Against the Dark Arts made up for what Care of Magical Creatures lacked. Lupin and his lessons were as fun as always, every class as enjoyable as the last. Lupin had yet to invite you for another cup of tea, but his presence around the castle no longer bothered you.

Potions, on the other hand, was more miserable than usual. Snape was extra moody, although you weren't surprised. His eyes flashed menacingly at the very mention of Lupin's name, undoubtedly because he hated to hear the good feedback about another teacher that had taken the position he'd been after for years.

As Halloween drew closer, the only thing that really kept you going was the first Hogsmeade visit. A bag of coins had been lying in the bottom of your trunk for weeks, just waiting to be spent on butterbeers at the Three Broomsticks and sweets from Honeydukes.

You were convinced you'd be up before the sun out of pure excitement on October 31st. Eager to finally stretch your legs outside of the school grounds. In reality, you didn't roll out of bed until about halfway through breakfast. Teachers had been lenient with homework for the weekend, knowing that if they assigned any, students would come into class on Monday empty handed, too distracted by Hogsmeade. Your internal clock took advantage of this and let you sleep.

A bitter wind slipped through the tiny crack of the window by your bed, and you got dressed with it in mind. After throwing on your warmest sweater and thickest socks, you started out of your dorm, descending the winding staircase to the common room.

Loud voices reached your ears as you approached the bottom of the stairs. You slowed your pace to listen; two voices, one male and one female, arguing. As you got closer to the entrance, you prayed it wasn't McGonagall, up for an early morning scolding.

As the common room came into view, so did the cause of the commotion. Ron and Hermione stood by the fireplace, both red faced. Harry sat in the nearby armchair, an open textbook in his lap. Several students stood by the walls, watching what was clearly a very heated argument. Fred, George and Lee sat at the usual table.

You came into the room quietly, heading for your friends. The three of them gave you acknowledging glances before returning to the yelling boy and girl.