CHAPTER 6

Miguel

"Why didn't you go to Lily's house last week? I thought you were gonna catch up," Jeff asked as he took a seat.

The three boys went to our house to have a couple of beers.

"I didn't go home until eight. I think Charlotte made sure that I won't be able to see Bianca."

"What? Why are you guys being a pain to each other's partners?" Brian asked.

It was the same question that had been going on in my mind for the past few days.

"Still protective of Bianca?" Vino asked.

"Yeah and I can't see a problem with that. I mean, look at Brian—he has dated girls but his being friends with the trio was never a problem."

Brian grinned. "Because I make sure that there's nothing to be jealous about."

I titled my head and squinted my eyes at him. "Like there's something... Is there something to be jealous about Bianca!? We're close. That's a given. But it's not like we flirt with each other."

"Yeah, Bianca is terrible at flirting," Brian agreed, nodding. "She isn't flirting with you."

I scoffed. Since freshman year in high school, Brian already told us that Bianca was no good in flirting.

"Maybe there are just some things that... I don't know man, just choose your girls wisely," he added.

"Bianca has always been a problem with the girls you liked back in high school," Jeff reminded me.

"I know and it's annoying. Maybe if they couldn't accept that Bianca is in my life then they shouldn't be part of it."

"Maybe because some girls are threatened by a boy's female best friend," Vino said.

***

Bianca

"Thanks for the lunch," I said to Stephen as we walked out of the restaurant. We just went out for lunch to celebrate Valentine's Day. I was also glad that we hadn't been arguing lately, and he was in a good mood.

He reached for my hand and interlaced his fingers with mine as we walked. I was looking straight ahead, and I saw a tall guy and a girl walking towards our direction. I knew the guy already noticed us too.

I tried to take Stephen's attention by pointing a pink lace dress displayed on a mannequin behind the boutique's window but it was too late because Stephen already caught sight of Miguel who was now a few feet away from us.

There was no way out.

"Bianx," Miguel greeted me, feigning disinterest. Then he nodded at Stephen to acknowledge him. "Stephen."

"Hey," Stephen greeted back, his lip was a thin line.

I released the breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Migs," I smiled, but not too much.

"This is Charlotte. Charlotte, this is Bianca and her boyfriend, Stephen," Miguel introduced us to his girl. I could already sense that she didn't like me and she didn't bother to hide it by looking at me from head to toe.

"Hi," I said anyway, only not to look rude. I reminded myself that Miguel likes this girl so I must show her a little respect.

She nodded without saying anything. This was beginning to get more awkward by the second.

"Uh...we better get going now," I mumbled nervously.

We said our goodbyes and walked away from Miguel and Charlotte.

#

Miguel

"He said all those things to you?!" I asked Bianca as I opened a bag of barbecue-flavored potato chips.

It was unbelievable. Stephen started a fight all because of our one-minute encounter at the mall. He said some nasty things to Bianca, and it was more than enough to enrage me.

Bianca tried to shush me, careful not to let her brother hear our conversation.

"I told you Dom is in his bedroom," Bianca snapped, taking the bag of chips from my hands.

"Sorry," I raised my hand in apology. In a much lower voice, I said, "But that is too much, Bianx. You don't deserve that kind of treatment."

"He's just a little jealous, that's all," she answered before stuffing her mouth with some chips.

"A little jealous?" I asked, and she just continued munching. "Will you please stop defending your boyfriend? He's an asshole."

"Maybe he just needs a little more time to get used to everything—us being friends..."

The first time I met Stephen, I knew he didn't like me to be hanging around Bianca. He shot daggers at me the moment he laid eyes on me. I knew he was bad news.

Everything that was happening to her was irritating the hell out of me. Bianca didn't deserve that kind of treatment.

"You know I didn't bail you out of certain situations for countless times back in high school for nothing," I reminded her. "There were better ones—like Shawn."

Finally, Bianca smiled for the first time today.

"You only liked him because he and his friends agreed to play basketball with the four of you," Bianca replied.

"Well, yeah that's one factor. But he's a really great guy."

"Uh-huh. Except for the fact that he always stammers when he talks to me."

I laughed.

"That's something he needs to improve, yes."

"Anyway, how's Charlotte?" Bianca asked, changing the subject. "I know she doesn't like me."

"That's not true."

"You're a bad liar, Miguel. She doesn't like me and I know it."

"Okay. You're right," I sighed. "But she didn't start a fight after the incident. I think it was a good thing that I have a surprise waiting for her when we got to the parking lot."

"Lucky girl."

"Bianx, you know you have a choice. You deserve someone better," I reminded her, trying to bring back our earlier topic.

I was still furious at how Bianca was treated by Stephen. Obviously, this guy didn't know how lucky he was to be with Bianca.

"Yeah, I know. But I choose him. I have faith in him," she gave me a tiny smile. "But thank you for everything, Miguel."

***

Author's Notes:

Bianca's friends already expressed their dislike for Stephen, but she still chooses him. Why do you think people stay in toxic relationships?