chapter one

In the beginning, it was chaos. We thought that they would stay on their island- easter island- but they started to swim to other continents. South America was first, then North America. These things weren't hostile, they didn't want to kill people. But it seemed as though everyone wanted to kill them. Wouldn't even give them a chance. They started ripping open people's houses, which was seen as a threat,, even though they were only trying to tuck people in with their massive hands and give goodnight kisses. It had all happened so quickly. It was overwhelming.
By the time they made it to your town, you had already known of them. And you were petrified. These 20 meter tall statues were roaming and stepping on things and they couldn't be stopped. They were too strong for restraints, and too ridgid to be shot down. Nothing could be done. It was a waste of ammo and time to try and stop them. So people were giving up. People were throwing in the towel.
You were already so scared of them when you went to see them with your parents two years ago. You hated them and wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.
The fact that people were giving up terrified you even further. These things couldn't be stopped, they were ripping roofs off of buildings and reaching in to kill the people inside. You didn't actually know that they hadn't killed anyone yet- you were hearing what you wanted to hear. You felt like you were going to die. You were next. Your roof would be ripped off and you would be squeezed to death by a Moai statue.

It was a matter of days before they ripped your roof off. The sky was pitch black, and the clouds in the sky promised rain. It was a small crescent moon, so there wasn't much moonlight seen. The only light really was that from your LEDs that ran around the top edge of your room, and the lamp beside your bed. Which made the large, strangely muscular, statue look even more menacing. As he reached his hand in to tuck you in, you pulled the covers over your head and tried to hide. But there wasn't anything to hide from. The statue patted your head with it's finger, which was about the same size as you, and waited for you to come out of hiding. Once you did, he leaned down and kissed your forehead, gave a smile, then put your roof back in place and left. You were astonished. You kept thinking, asking yourself what had just happened. You couldn't tell reality from dream. What was going on?
You were still scared, terrified. Not as badly as before.
After wrapping your head around what just happened, you got to thinking, "why was it so warm?" It was a statue, after all. And it had been in the ground for who knows how long. Left to rot until suddenly given life. Or perhaps they had life this entire time, but were just now starting to move around. What was the purpose? Why now of all times?