chapter two

Days had past since your first encounter with the statue. They had all left your town, or so you and everyone else thought. The truth was that the statue that had paid you a visit that night had stayed behind, waiting for you to come out and see him. So when you did finally come out of your house and to go on a stroll, he showed himself to you. You could tell it was the same one as that night by the patch of green moss over his right eye. Your immediate reaction was to jump and run away.
After running a good distance, you turn and notice that the statue looked upset. Was it upset because you ran? How was a statue able to garner and exhibit emotions as if a human? Why was it upset? Why would it be upset that you're afraid of it? Does it see how large it is?
It didn't seem to be chasing after you, only looking almost longingly at you. It was creepy but also.. strangely endearing in a way. So, you slowly approach the giant and sit down in front of him, to which he smiles and pats your head like he had the night you met. This was so odd. You had so many questions. Like, could it talk? Did it have a name? Why was it attached to you? Was it even an "it"?
"S-So.. uhm. Do you- y'know.. have a name?"
The statue nodded, then pointed at a rock.
"R.. rock??"
He shook his head.
"Stone?"
He nodded.
"Alright, Stone. I'm N/A."
You were starting to loosen up. It would be hard to conversate with him because it didn't seem as though he could speak. His mouth could move, but his lips couldn't part you guessed.
After a moment of awkward silence, you spoke up.
"Do you like me?"
He nodded.
"Why?"
He shrugged. You gave a small laugh and rolled your eyes.
"Well, are you a guy or a girl?"
He held up a one, signifying the first option which was guy.
"So you're not an 'it'?"
He shook his head.
"Good to know. Are there girls?"
He nodded. So this is how they would communicate. Yes and no questions. No actual conversation. But.. to be honest, you didn't really like conversation. You'd rather just sit in comfortable silence and not have to put in the effort. So it was perfect.
These things weren't scary after all. They were just gentle giants trying to bring love to the world. Now that was something you could get behind.
You hadn't really questioned how this thing could understand English or hear, nor move his mouth..
"So.. Stone, have you been alive for a while?"
He nodded.
"More than a hundred years?"
Another nod.
"Damn."
You looked down at the ground, trying to think of what else to say. What else was there to say?
"Well, I have to get going. See you.. later?"
You got up, brushed off the dirt from your bottom, and walked off to go back home.