Breakfast

"Hey, Ben... if you're hearing this, then... then it all went wrong.  I had Ship keep this just in case.  I don't know how it might have happened, but it did.  I know you're probably hating yourself, thinking you could have done more, but, I think you did everything you could."

Ben woke up in a cold sweat, grabbing onto the ring dangling from his neck.  Her voice, it was still like it happened yesterday.  His eyes started burning as tears threatened to spill, but he wiped them away and glanced at the ceiling.

It had been a while since he had that dream, of hearing that message.  He didn't think it would still hit him this hard after so long without thinking about what had happened, but it still hit him like a bulldozer.

"Well, I'm sure you don't believe that.  If it ever does happen, just know, regardless of whatever might have happened between us, I was happy.  Being with you, Ben... it... it was the best thing that I could have had happen to me."

He climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom to look at himself in the mirror.  As the ring laid against his chest, Ben couldn't help but think about all the things he was missing in his life.  She could have been here right now, reassuring him that everything would be okay, they might have even had a child by now.

Ben could imagine the little giggle of the boy or girl Tennyson, and a weak smile appeared on his face.  The giggle soon turned to another voice, one that brought him back to reality.  He was thankful to hear a voicemail come across his phone from Gwen.

"Ben, I don't know if you'll get this, but I'm worried about you.  Grandpa hasn't heard from you in months, and I know you've asked for your privacy, but at least let us know you're okay.  We miss you.  Kevin doesn't admit it, but he does.  Heard you and Azmuth were attending to some sort of business, and they said you're off-world now.  I hope you're being careful.  Just give me a call when you can."

Gwen's voice was heartbreaking to put it lightly.  If she only knew why he and Max hadn't spoken in so long.  I'll call you soon, Gwen.  I promise.

The truth was, he had only kept his distance from Kevin and Gwen to alleviate their own guilt over that day.  They couldn't have seen that happening, and each time they had looked at him it was like they were reliving that day over and over again.  Ben couldn't do that to them.  From what he had heard Kevin was a mechanic and Gwen had graduated from college.  She hadn't known her major for the longest time, but Gwen was a doctor now.  Gwen always did have a knack for saving lives, and even though she probably missed being a hero in the front lines, it was for the better.  Gwen had a daughter to look after now.  Little Sherry Tennyson-Levin.  Two years ago she had Sherry, and to think, Ben hadn't even seen her.

Ben took a shower, and got dressed before sitting at his desk for a little bit.  Gwen had said somebody told her he was off-world.  He hoped that meant he wouldn't get too many messages or calls for a while.  

Grandpa hasn't heard from you in months.  Yeah, he hadn't heard from Ben because of their last conversation.  They had gotten into an argument about whether Ben even was capable of being an instructor at the Plumber facility Max was working at.  It wasn't a physical job, but Max had been adamant on denying his request.  Max kept claiming that this was Ben's way of trying to sneak back into his old habits, and Max wasn't gonna let Ben get himself killed.  It didn't end well and Ben hadn't spoken to him since.

"I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS!" was the last thing Ben had said to his Grandpa before he left.  Not another word was spoken between the two, and even though Max had tried calling him, Ben didn't answer a single call.  He listened to every voicemail though, just to hear his voice.