The Unsung Hero

Stepping into the hall, Naruto was hardly able to believe how packed it was. Even hours later, it seemed like half of the village was being treated. Sasuke didn't have to look at Naruto to know what the shinobi was thinking.

From the way his muscles tensed up and his skin became clammy, Naruto was horrified. Sasuke knew what he was feeling, even if his own reaction was of a much lighter degree. This was Naruto's first real experience with the casualties of battle, and for that the Uchiha knew it was better if he kept his mouth shut at the moment. Speaking wouldn't help right now.

For the blond, every face was another flash of the sentry's attack. There were so many people hurt and it was all his fault. Naruto lowered his arm from Sasuke's shoulder, standing against the wall with his heart beating in his ears. Some of the villagers glanced towards him with varied emotions, but the one that hurt the most right now was that all too familiar 'Demon Brat' glare.

For once, they actually have a reason to be mad at me... but they don't even know it.

"There's so many-" Naruto shuddered, as Sasuke put his hand on his shoulder.

"It would have been worse if it wasn't for you," he reassured him.

Nobody would have been hurt if it weren't for me.

"Ah, come on Shikamaru!" a muffled voice called out through the crowd. The two quickly glanced at each other with raised eyebrows, recognizing the voice.

"Hey, you don't think that's-" Naruto started, raising an eyebrow.

"Choji? Sure sounds like him."

Making their way towards the sound of the person's voice, they came to the doorway of one of the rooms where their voracious classmate Choji was sitting on the bed alongside the infamously lazy Shikamaru standing against the wall with his arms crossed.

"You almost died because of a bag of chips..."

"They're barbecue flavored!" Choji explained, earning a sigh as a response. "It would have been a waste."

"Choji? What are you doing here, don't tell me you got hurt?!" Naruto asked, limping into the room with Sasuke in tow.

"Masterful observation as always, Naruto." Sasuke teased.

Naruto glared daggers at the Uchiha, but quickly turned his attention back to their classmates.

From the look of it, Shikamaru was visiting Choji as the latter was in the bed wearing a hospital gown. Shikamaru had some scratches on him, but other than that he seemed rather fine. Choji's only visible injury was on his left shoulder, evidenced by the bandages adorning it.

"Hey guys! You got any food?" Choji asked, ignoring the question which only made Shikamaru facepalm.

"Cut it out with the food for a minute, will ya?" Shikamaru groaned. "Instead of getting to safety, Choji went through the trouble to save a measly bag of chips."

"Barbecue flavored!"

"Not important! Anyway, as I was saying, Choji nearly got himself killed over a bag of chips."

Naruto and Sasuke's eyebrows twitched in unison. So, while they were risking their lives trying to save the village, Choji was risking his own for food... that sounded so ridiculous it had to be true.

"Sasuke," the blond whispered lowly. "Is this how you've felt dealing with me for all these years?"

"Hnn," was the reply Sasuke gave along with a sly smirk. Naruto chuckled, knowing he had more or less said yes.