Chapter Two

Remus awoke with a start - his dreams had gone sour. Somehow Severus had learned his secret, and being Severus, had spread it throughout the school in a matter of hours. It wasn't like he hadn't been cruelly and suddenly outed as bisexual already anyway, but the thought of them knowing he was madly in love with Sirius Black and a werewolf combined was too much. He was already getting far too many questions about his scars.

He shook his head, banishing the thoughts, and stretched in the morning sun streaming through the curtains. Shit, he thought, sorting day for the new first years. First day of seventh year. He did enjoy watching the sorting ceremony, though - the relief on the first years faces when they were sorted into the houses they wanted, the houses with their friends, was priceless.

He remembered his own sorting day fondly. He and Sirius were rather far apart in the register, Black and Lupin, but when Sirius invited him over to sit with him and Lily with a grin so wide he thought would split his face it really was the first day of the rest of his life. Later of course he would learn about his newest friend's family, and wonder why he seemed so pleased at being sorted into Gryffindor.

Eventually Pettigrew and Potter joined them, and that was it, wasn't it?

The marauders. Forever.

Standing up, he stretched again and yawned, which woke Peter.

"Sorting day!" he exclaimed with a smile, evidently remembering his own precious memories from that day seven years ago. Lily stirred, waking James, who was still in her arms. Remus grimaced. If only he and Sirius could be so openly close. He cleared his thoughts, replacing his gritted teeth with a smile, he was happy for them - and headed up to the dorms to get dressed.

Returning to the common room he found his friends, with the exception of Sirius, dressed and waiting for him.

"We're going to let him sleep, Re," said Lily, gesturing at the dark haired boy who was lightly snoring in an armchair. "Could you write him a quick note? We'll meet you in the Great Hall."

"Sure," Remus smiled, "see you soon."

Locating a scrap bit of parchment, he gave up on trying to find a quill and instead grabbed a ballpoint pen he'd insisted on buying in a muggle city - they'd all been thrilled upon finding how much easier they were to use than a quill and ink.

gone 2 sorting ceremony, decided to let u sleep.. see you at breakfast - re

A sudden rush of bravery overtook him and he scrawled a heart at the bottom of the scrap of paper. Folding it up before he could change his mind and cross it out, he wedged it into the crook of Sirius' arm, his heart racing as their hands brushed. He shook his head to clear his thoughts, and left the common room, heading to the Great Hall and his friends. The atmosphere of the ceremony would take his mind off things, he thought determinedly.