04. unexpected visitor

Y-Youngmin?

Y-Youngmin?

"Happy Birthday, Seri!" he smiled sheepishly.

"You jerk," she muttered as she held back tears of shock while hobbling back to her room.

"Hey," he called while he gently grabbed her shoulder, "That's no way to treat your older brother. I missed you."

"If you missed me that much, you would've called me or at least text me," she retorted, "It seemed like you didn't care at all."

"Seri, please can we talk?" Youngmin asked, "I have to tell you so many things."

"Oh, you're damn right about that," she murmured coldly.

"When did she become like this?" he wondered with confusion.

They sat in front of each other in the living room. Seri gave him a dirty glare as Youngmin looked at her with fear.

"I heard about your accident," he began to say, "I know you did awesome though! You were always an amazing tennis player-"

"I don't want to talk about that," she interrupted, "Explain to me why you never picked up my calls, responded to my texts, and never came back during the holidays."

He sighed sadly as he looked down, "Seri, in Australia, there are so many talented and amazing players. They're so much stronger, and their skill level is insane. I've seen players my age and younger that are even better than dad. Anyways, I... I hit a wall during my season. I barely won any matches, and my skill level just declined. I didn't even make it past the second round in tournaments. I didn't even get to play in regionals. I kept trying to practice and practice where it got to the point where I strained my wrist. Don't worry, it's fine, and my wrist is back to normal, but..."

"But what?" Seri questioned with a slightly agitated tone.

"I couldn't take the pressure from my opponents and my training, so I quit. I don't even enjoy it as much as I used to anymore."

"You... YOU WHAT?" she screamed in disbelief.

"There was no other way. I can't get out of this slump. It's almost impossible. Seri, I-"

"Coward," she murmured silently.

"What?"

"I SAID YOU'RE A COWARD," she snapped, "AFTER ALL THIS TIME I WAITED FOR YOU! SO I CAN COMPETE WITH YOU, BUT INSTEAD, YOU DROP OUT? YOU'RE THE DUMBEST COWARD I'VE MET. STOP GIVING ME ALL THIS BULLSHIT! YOU'RE THE CRAPPIEST OLDER BROTHER ANYONE COULD ASK FOR!"

Youngmin sat silently in shock as she got up and struggled to get up the stairs. She slammed the door as she flopped onto her bed, crying. Seri honestly didn't mean to say all those harsh words to her older brother; if anything, she was happy to see him again, but she couldn't accept the fact he quit tennis. One of the most amazing players she's met and seen quit? It sounded like a complete hoax to her. It didn't even make sense that he was in a slump.

**

5 pm

"Seri," her mother called as she entered the house, "I'm home."

She continued to walk around the house until she encountered her son sitting on the living room couch. He was sitting in a distressed slouchy position while the tips of his fingers rested on his temples.

"Youngmin?" Hanako stuttered in surprise, "What are you going here? I thought you were still in Australia."

"Mom," Youngmin looked up clearly with a distressed face, "What happened to Seri?"

Hanako sighed as she sat down next to her son. She patted his head as she gave him a loving side hug.

"You mean her personality?"

He nodded.

"Well, it mostly started after you left for college and then when you left for Australia. I don't know what happened, Youngmin, but she said you stopped texting her and ignored her calls. Eventually, she stopped talking about you and tried to move on in her life. She became more quiet yet salty. Seri's been more edgy and cautious than she used to be. She doesn't trust people as easily as she used to and occasionally I hear her cry herself to sleep. She acts all tough and mean but she's just so weak and as her mother, I feel horrible that I can't help her. I just don't know what to do. It seemed that tennis was the only thing that could help her cope with her misery. But now, she can't even play because she broke her ankle. I don't even know what she's like at school."

"It's... it's all my fault," he whispered, "What do I do now? How do I help her? Seri can't be like this forever. She was the sweetest girl, but now she doesn't even want to see my face."

"Maybe an apology can help?" she suggested. 

"Maybe," he muttered, "And maybe a deal too."