Random Writing 5

I walk home from school, my school was known for not really giving us a winter break or any holidays but they do tell the teachers to make sure we don't have any/much work. The weight of my bag is strangely more heavy than usual but only slightly. I ignore the disturbance and continue walking, pondering what the new year would bring me when suddenly I feel a presence.
I look up and around and see one of my good childhood friends, Tsugumi, waiting for something on the fence near the edge of school.
She doesn't seem to acknowledge my presence so I shrug it off, perhaps they are just waiting for their parent's car or something.
Then once I pass her I feel a soft nudge on my side and I turn to face in that direction. Tsugumi is looking at me, with a slight flush of red in her cheeks and a slightly timid look. It takes me some time to register what's going on as this is completely the opposite of her usual boyish tendencies.
With her blush getting more red with each passing moment, she mutters something which I don't exactly hear. It takes a few more moments to pass for her to realize whatever she just said never reached my ears. She then takes one deep breath and repeats herself with obvious shyness in her voice. "Will you... look at the fireworks with me?"
It takes a few seconds to process what she just asked but I think nothing much of it. I'm one of her closest friends and always used to watch the firework at the end of the year with her when we were little.
I do my casual reply of "Yeah sure" and she flushes a deep crimson but it quickly passes. She then straightens up and gives a wide grin like usual and tells me "Alright! See you there and don't be late."
I give her a slight nod and she nods her head with approval with me, we say our goodbyes and she waves while jogging away and I go continue walking home albeit thinking of what I'd wear next since I now have plans for the new year.
I entered my apartment and set down my bag and rubbed my shoulders, talking to her really distracted me on how heavy it was. I take a quick rinse off and pick my clothes for the night and sit down on my small couch in my apartment and start thinking about the earlier parts of the year and how I moved to this apartment to attend the prestigious school my parents always wanted me to go to.
I then go to rest as I would most likely be up to watch the fireworks.
...
...
...
When I finally get up, I check my clock to see the time of 10:00 pm and I groggily get out of bed but quickly get ready as I had plans. Before my rest I had received a message from her detailing where we would meet and what time which is 11:30 to 11:45 pm. After finishing up I departed to go and take a short train ride and walk/slight jog to where we decided to meet up.
It's a nice cliff on the side of a mountain with a bench as a rest point and the mountain also has a small temple near the top and is near the outskirts of the city. I looked out in awe on how pretty the city was at night and stared mesmerized at the lights.
I suddenly get snapped out of it with a "Hey" and I whip around. Tsugumi is standing behind me in a kimono and her hair is put up all really nice. I can't manage to say anything back as it came with great shock as she usually wears "Boyish" clothes and sneakers, not anything real traditional and nice. All I can manage in my stunned state is a "Oh hey" and nothing more.
She gives the usual small chuckle and sits down on the bench, beckoning me to sit next to her.
I do so casually, it's been quite some time since I've watched the fireworks at the end of the year and especially with Tsugumi.
After some silence Tsugumi asks "Do you know why I asked you here?"
Giving it a few moments of thought I say "To relive past memories of when we used to watch things like this together?"
She gives a slight puzzled smile at my lengthy answer and looks down with a slight blush and says "Well that and something else" and all I can manage is a puzzled look of my own.
She gives a slight frown and says "Do I really have to say it?"
I stammer and try to ask any sort of question but nothing really forms into words.
With a slight huff and a large blush forming she says "....I like you, dummy, get it now?" and it takes me a few moments to let that sink in and process that. Then it hits me even though I have been slightly ignorant until now.
She had asked me on a date and I doubted it so much that I thought she was just asking to go relive some old times but not an actual full on date.
Then I think about how I really feel about her. Tsugumi is no longer that boyish girl from before, well she kinda still is but she's also grown in many ways. Then I realized how I truly feel, I see her as someone I can love and be happy with and realize the significance of this. Mustering all my willpower no form a full sentence and not stutter like a dumbass I finally say "I like you too"
With that Tsugumi flushes a deep red and gives a smile, half that's a familiar feeling and half that's slightly a new feeling. After a few moments she breaks and plunges into my chest, deeply embracing me with a large crimson blush. I soon let it sink in and hugged her back too when the fireworks started up, but neither of us let go to look at them.
After all, with even the bright lights of the fireworks, and mesmerizing look of the city, I have truly found something that is the most beautiful to me, someone I can love and take into the new year with me.

The End