Chapter 9: Peices of the Puzzle

“Have you seen Kyla?” Angel practically burst into my office and asks.

“No not since yesterday morning.” I shake my head, standing up from the desk. “But I’ve been a bit preoccupied the past twenty six hours.” I add, walking around my desk to grab a folder from the small table in front of my couch. “Why?”

Angel sighs and I already know what this is about. After Kyla and I talked yesterday I figured her and Angel would be on the rocks, but I honestly didn’t expect Angel to be the one barging into my office asking where my sister is.

“She told me something about um… Eric yesterday,” She pauses shaking her head. “… she told me something and we got into a fight and I told her to go home, but when I got home she wasn’t there and she didn’t come home last night. I haven’t seen her all morning either. She hasn’t been by your place?”

“I slept here.” I answer quickly. I had so much work to do last night that I ended up spending the night at the office. “I talked to Spencer last night, she didn’t mention that Ky was there, but maybe she came over after we spoke. “Go by my place, I’m sure she probably just spent the night with Spencer discussing how much of an idiot she is.” I throw in and smile a little to ease Angel’s mind.

“Yeah.” Angel nods, loosening up a bit. “Did she tell you what she-“

“Yeah.” I nod, cutting her off. “I didn’t know that went down Angel, she never told me or I would have-“

“Even if you knew, I wouldn’t have expected you to tell me, Madam Vice President; she is your sister after all.” I smile and shake my head at her.

“But she’s an idiot and even if I didn’t tell you, I would have made her tell you sooner.”  She just shrugs. “Why don’t you head over to my place and see if Ky’s there, I’m sure she’d love to see you. She probably thinks you hate her.”

“I could never hate her, no matter what she does to me. Kyla is complicated and crazy sometimes, but I love her and as mad as I am at her right now, when she didn’t come home last night… all I kept thinking was that something bad happened to her. With all the stuff going on in the city, I couldn’t sleep without her lying next to me.” I smile at the dark haired girl in front of me, because I know exactly what she means. No matter what happens between me and Spencer, at the end of the day I’ll always want her to be lying next to me in bed.

“Go.” I shoo her out of my office.  “Talk some sense into my crazy sisters’ head.” She nods and wordlessly exits my office.

“Madam Vice President your one o’clock is here.” Jason pokes his head in and tells me, I motion for him to tell him to come in as I take a seat behind my desk once again; time to get back to business.

“Hello Madam Vice President.” Eric comes in, a smile on his face.

“Let’s discuss the future, shall we?” I really don’t have time for pleasantries at the moment, plus I’m not entirely sure how fond I am of Eric right now.

“Oh, straight to business huh?” He chuckles and takes a seat across from me. “Angel must have told you about our little, discussion.” He turns slightly to his left and I can see a big bruise near his eye and cheek.

“Oh wow.” I gasp a little. “Angel did that to you?” I question and he only nods. “Got to admit I’m a little bit surprised.”

“You and me both.” He chuckles, grimacing a bit, bringing his hand up to his cheek to rub it.

“Can’t say you didn’t deserve it.” I speak up, not as the Vice President but as a sister and a friend.

“Yeah.” He nods. “So, to business then…”