Chapter 5: Carmen: The Best Days!

I smile and shake my head as I make my way down the hall towards the Vice President's office. Those two are fighting every other day and make up even faster. I have no doubt that they'll figure this out in no time.

I lift my hand to knock and get a soft "come in." I stick my head in the door just as Ashley stuffs a piece of paper into her drawer, "I'll be on your detail for the rest of the day madam Vice President."

"Where's Angel?" Kyla asks. I'm reluctant to give an answer. I know that Angel switching detail will only make things more complicated than they already are.

"She asked to be put on gate detail. "I reply softly. Kyla sighs and drops her head. Ashley stands up and places a hand on her sisters' shoulder. It's really sweet how much they love each other. I don't think I've ever seen another pair of siblings, apart from Spencer and Glen of course, that love each other as much as these two do. "I know it's none of my business." I speak up after a moment. Kyla looks as though she wants to cry and I just want to ease her mind a bit. "But, she just wanted to clear her head a bit before she saw you again. She's really glad you're okay though." I nod and smile trying to affirm her.

"Okay." Kyla says softly. This definitely isn't a side of Kyla I'm used to seeing. She's never quiet or... soft spoken. She turns and hugs her sister, telling her that she'll see her later.

"Straight home Kyla, I mean it." Ashley points a playfully stern finger at her sister. "The city is still on lockdown." She reminds her sister.

"Yeah, yeah." Kyla waves her off before heading out the door.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with those two." Ashley shakes her head as she takes a seat in her chair.

"They'll figure it out. You know how it was to be in love at that age." I smile at Ashley as I take a seat across from her. "Any new developments on the..."I pause, searching for the right word. "...Traitor?" I settle on.

"No, there's been nothing yet. We're grilling everyone we can think of but everyone seems genuinely loyal to the cause."

"Don't worry." I assure her. "We're going to find whoever is doing this, and we're gonna take care of it." She nods, trusting my words.

"We can't have another incident like today. The city is getting worried. If things start falling apart now, everything we've worked so hard to build could come crashing down.

"I'm not gonna let that happen." I assure her, standing up. "Can I take you home? With the city on lockdown I'm sure Spencer would love to have you there, plus all your meetings have been pushed."

"Yeah." She nods. "That'd be nice. Spencer will be happy." She flashes me a smile as she stands from her desk. "Is the run still on for tonight?"

"I think so. We're in desperate need of some supplies. I don't think we can wait any more. We're gonna put extra guards on the gates tonight and stationed outside of you and the presidents houses, as well as your families. No one's getting in here."

"Maybe we should give Eric a call, see if they can spare a couple dozen of their men for the convoy?"

"They're in Nevada?" I question.

"Yeah maybe a hundred or so miles from the city, I'll give him a call and meet you out front."

"Okay." I nod and make my way towards the door.

"Carmen..." Ashley stops me as I reach the door.

"Yes, Madam Vice President?"

"Thanks for saving my sister." She smiles and I only nod. She knows that it was nothing. I wasn't only doing my job, I was protecting my family. I exit her Office and head down the hall to the President's Office.