Chapter 3- Morgan

At the age of 15, Morgan had been to eight different schools, always packing up and moving to follow her dad's job, but it never bothered her. She had never liked any of the cities or schools she went to, and she knew better than to make any close friends just to leave the next year and never see them again. She only made that mistake once, and it ended so horribly that she swore to herself that she would never get that close to anyone again.

Walking into Copperton High School felt so familiar but also so foreign to her. Looking down the hallway Morgan scoffed at how easily she could identify all the social groups. The Wild Ones, the Nerds, the Outsiders, and the Populars. 

After Morgan visited the front desk to sign in and retrieve her schedule, she walked back to the mob of teenagers greeting their friends after a long summer break. Although most of them probably saw each other over the summer the squeals that threatened to burst Morgan's eardrums said otherwise. There were couples making 

 Blocking out the noise, she looked down at the slip of paper in her hand with all of her classes and classrooms. Period 1, Chemistry Honors, room 312, Mr. Trofy. Where was room 312?

As if sensing her confusion, a slight girl a little taller than Morgan slid up next to her and said, "You must be the new kid!" She was practically jumping with excitement, her straight blonde hair bouncing with her.

"Ummmm, yes, and you are?" she asked the girl. Just by looking at her, Morgan could tell she wasn't a partier, which made her muscles relax.

"I'm Claire! Sorry, I'm so excited. We haven't had a new kid come in a while, let alone a girl who doesn't want to go to parties every night. You don't want to go to parties every night, right?" she babbled and Morgan breathed out a laugh.

Morgan was actually starting to like this girl. She reminded her of Chlo... no, she promised she would never get attached again. Morgan was about to respond by saying something rude to get Claire away, but then she looked around in the locker-lined hallway and saw that everyone was looking at her, probably waiting to see what group she would join. Morgan had been the new girl enough times to know that whatever she said right now was vital for her future at Copperton High School. Quickly, Morgan glanced around the hallway. 

There were the boy groups, that she honestly had no interest in.

There were the girls who all wore dark clothing and to her horror, looked like they wanted to cut her open, just to see what a human heart looked like while still beating. Stay far away from them, Morgan mentally noted. 

Then there were the girls who didn't even notice Morgan, their eyes never leaving their textbooks. My grades are good, but they aren't good enough for them. 

There were the quiet girls standing in a circle, all staring at Morgan like she was a queen. Nope, I'm not here to be the girl people look at. I'm here to blend in. 

Finally, there were the short skirt, tight shirt girls, who all have unnervingly long and sharp nails that looked like they could scratch her eyes out with one swipe. The Populars. 

Then there was Claire, who looked genuinely nice...and lonely, but all she could think about was Chloe and how being friends with Morgan ended with a bullet in her brain. Morgan wanted to choose Claire more than anyone else. She was the only genuine person here. But how long would it be until Claire began to see the darkness inside of her? 

Morgan had gotten good at hiding her trauma and guilt from her parents and peers over the past year and a half, but she didn't think she would be able to hide it from her best friend. She never could before. 

Again, Morgan looked around the hallway, everyone looking back at her with hungry eyes, that either wanted to make her their queen, pet, or meal. Morgan thought back to what her therapist said in their last meeting before her family had moved from Colorado to this small town of Copperton, California, "Find someone that makes you happy. I know how hard trust and opening up is for you but just try it, for me. For Chloe." As much as Morgan had wanted to punch her in the face for bringing up Chloe, somewhere inside her, she knew that was the truth.

Choosing her future at Copperton High School, Morgan answered Claire's question about parties by saying, "No, I'm not into that kind of stuff. I'm more of the 'chilling in the basement watching movies with popcorn and soda' kind of person," which lit up Claire's face. "Me too!" she squealed. 

Morgan smiled and laughed, taking her arm and walking to where Claire had said her locker was. That was the first time since the incident in the alley that Morgan had smiled without it being forced.