Chapter 5- Morgan

Asher and Morgan arrived at their Chemistry Honors class seven minutes late, As they walked in, the older man in the front of the room, who she assumed was Mr. Trophy, outright glared at them. 

Morgan looked toward the back of the room in hopes of finding a seat she could sink into and get away from the thirteen pairs of eyes boring into her. It seemed Asher had a different idea because he walked to one of the empty tables in the front and plunked down into it. Searching the room, Morgan saw Claire waving over to her to the empty seat at her table, near the back of the room, and started walking over there. 

Halfway to the table, Mr. Trophy called out her name, and she slowly turned around, wincing at his tone. "Morgan Hill. You're late on your first day of school at Copperton High School. How disappointing. I think it's only fair that for your tardiness you sit up front with Mr. Lee," pointing at Asher, who slumped in his chair at the attention that was placed on him. even more at the use of his family name. Sighing, Morgan went over to the table dropping her bag next to her chair, and sat down next to Asher.

Mr. Trofy began introducing the syllabus and his expectations for this year. Morgan was bored in the first five minutes and her eyes automatically slid over the the boy sitting next to her. Asher looked like he was about to fall asleep. Quickly scanning the room, Morgan noticed most of the students were in a similar state. 

The rest of the class went by in a blur. Just a lot of talk about atoms and elements. Finally, the bell rang and she packed up her books, walking out of the classroom with Claire by her side, asking why she was late. 

"I was late because I had to go to the bathroom and couldn't find room 312, so I was just wandering the hallways until Asher ran into me, quite literally, and helped me find the room". 

They had reached Claire's locker and before she could reply to Morgan's comment, someone grabbed Morgan from behind and pressed her back against the lockers while leaning his head towards hers.

A memory surfaced.

A memory of his hands on her shoulders, her neck, her body. Of being so defenseless and useless. Of being someone's toy they could just play with and being able to do nothing about it. Of Chloe's screams as they grabbed her from the street and dragged her in the alley the same way they did to me.

The rage and terror pulsing through Morgan gave no room to rational thought, so when the boy pushed her against the locker just like the man in the alley pushed her to the ground, Morgan punched him as hard as she could. The boy stumbled back surprised and placed his hand on the already forming bruise on his cheek. At that exact moment, Mr. Trofy rounded the corner and took in the scene. He yelled, "Miss Hill! I know you are new here, so I will give you a pass this one time, but for your information that behavior is not tolerated at Copperton High School. Instead of suspending you, I will see you in detention for the rest of the week!"

As soon as he left, Morgan turned to the boy and asked what his name was. "Kai Jackson," he responded.

Morgan took a step closer to him and whispered, "Don't ever touch me like that again, Kai. Got it?"

"Yup. Yes ma'am. Ummmmm, yes." he responded, clearly flustered. Satisfied, Morgan turned on her heels and walked to her next class with Claire at her side, ignoring all the eyes following her.