introduction

opia. noun. the ambiguous intensity of looking someone in the eye, which can feel simultaneously invasive, vulnerable,

and fucking euphoric.

it happened when i was 11 years old. it was summer, and i was glad to be out of school. i remember coming back from a day at the beach when i found a curious letter sitting on my bed. considering the fact that the only mail i had ever been issued at my young age had been pink birthday cards or flashy well-wishes from family members, i was especially bewildered by the envelope's fragility and abnormality. it's burnt edges signified it was to be handled with the best of care, and the warm discoloration made me question its origins even more. the parcel was elegantly sealed with scarlet wax, an "i" imprinted on it, dusted in delicate gold.

and the craziest part, it was addressed to me.

i slowly opened the letter, as to not disturb the contents that were inside. my small, fragile hands unfolded the aged parchment that hid within the envelope, unaware of the door that had just opened my whole world.

as children, we had always dreamt of flying, or being an astronaut, or even travelling the world. while our imaginations reached peculiar destinations, we were lucky if those childhood dreams even slightly came into fruition. so, you could imagine my surprise when I received a letter that informed me of my magical abilities.

as i walk down the hallway of ilvermorny school of witchcraft and wizardry, nearly five years later, i wonder what my life would have been if i hadn't received that letter.