En Route

The craft shuddered a second time, signaling the explosion was successful. Kali braced herself as best she could in the cramped space she shared with prince Jaxon. She wanted her mind not thinking of the consequences of running away, or wondering if the rest of the journey would be so harrowing as the portion to this point had been.

Once he had her hand in his, he'd led her out the window and they'd inched their way along the narrow ledge to a balconet, where they climbed down to the next ledge, then down to another length of narrow ledge before crawling across a span between the inner and outer partitions of the palace.

Along the way he'd jested, "at least it's not raining."

At least it's not raining. He'd barely given her time to gird her skirts, and the wind had threatened to loose her hair from the elaborate plait she'd crafted for meeting the emperical family, but at least it wasn't raining.He wasn't wrong, but she questioned his sense of humor.

Once beyond the outer wall, he'd led her past the business and financial districts to a private owned transport landing. She followed him past the sleek newer models, as well as the older classic models. Her heart skipped beats when she realized he was leading her to the oldest dilapidated transport she'd ever laid eyes on. He'd reassured her he was fairly certain the craft would make it to orbit. It had jerked and rattled, but it did get them off the planet and beyond Saturn's orbit. Then he set a timer to self destruct and they'd climbed into the escape pod.

She decided to speak to the young man. So long as they must wait to be retrieved, she may as well get a few answers. "What did you mean? What's about to go down?"

Jaxon was quiet for several moments. The scent of her soap was the nicest scent in the cramped space they shared. A fresh burst of a flowery field wafted to his nose every time their shoulders bumped and he didn't want to talk about political maneuverings any more than he wanted to discern what the other odors represented.

"There are a great many aggrieved subjects throughout the Empire. There've been signs of unrest and talk of a rebellion."

"A rebellion. Do you mean there will be an uprising? As in war? Who would want to go to war with the emperor? What grievances would anyone have?"

"Several lords and overseers mishandle, and even abuse their estates and districts, largely because my father mishandles and abuses them. There are many among the border colonies who want to break off from the empire. They want to create their own forms of government. They are preparing to band together for one purpose: be done with the tyrannical ruling that has marked my family's legacy."

Kali's brows rose, "You think your father is a tyrant?"

Jaxon scoffed, "I know my father is a tyrant. And his father before him was a tyrant, as was his father."

Kali rolled her eyes. "You're a dissident."

Jaxon sighed, "I am now."

Kali was quiet for several minutes. Roaming the halls of her father's keep between lessons and hiding from the governesses she'd heard snippets of conversations not meant for her ears: of skirmishes requiring quelling, of unrest along certain borders, of lords earning the ire of the emperor. People angry for reasons she couldn't fathom.

But, she'd never given it much thought. The empire provided. Didn't it? That's what had been taught her. Why would anyone have grievance?

The pod shuddered again, then settled with a suddenness that gave an impression of finality.

Just as Kali and Jaxon were debating whether they were still drifting in space, the lid of the pod was lifted. A rush of fresher air filled Kali's lungs, and the sudden light stung her eyes. She gasped as she was grabbed under her arms and lifted out of the pod. Her captor held her until she was steady on her feet. She craned her neck to see who'd handled her like a doll, her eyes traveling ever upward as she stepped away from his grasp.