Settling in

Kali gazed longingly at the brightly colored silk dress and slippers she'd discarded for the clothes she'd been outfitted with. It was the first time in her life she'd ever worn such attire, down to the boots, though she'd often wanted to. The cloth was sturdier and of a rougher weave than she was used to, and her skin prickled with irritation.

But, it was sensible attire. Cut for movement, woven for endurance. The muted colors would help her blend in wherever they went, and the sturdy boots would protect her feet on any terrain they might encounter.

And the style of braids she'd worked her hair into was the finishing touch that completely transformed her appearance. It was a style similar to what she'd seen worn by merchants and servants of her family's house, alike. She no longer looked like a Duke's daughter. She could be anyone. An exhilarating prospect.

The shower had been nice. And it was nicer that the shower itself was clean.

The door buzzer grabbed her attention. She stepped to the door panel to press the door release for Jaxon.

He'd changed his clothes, as well, and shaved off his manicured beard. He no longer looked like the prince. He was carrying a folded cloth.

Kali thought he'd looked better with the beard and said so.

He chuckled and rubbed his chin saying he'd likely grow it out again soon. "My face hasn't been this smooth since before I left the nursery. You, though. Wow." He took a step back and looked her over. There was no way they'd ever have been able to pass her off as a boy. She was lovely!

He'd hoped the change of attire would be enough, but the poise of noble bearing was strongly trained in her. She lacked ease of carriage. He liked the effect of the braids, though, and it was a common enough hairstyle among women, and many men, he doubly approved. Her long, soft curls were stunning, but emphasized her innocence and gave her the appearance of a young child. The braids exposed a maturity that more closely aligned with her true age, which would make it easier to pass her off as the young adult she nearly was.

Kali peered down at the clothes she was wearing. Had she put them on wrong? "What about me?"

"We'll have to get a little dirt on you. You're the cleanest trader I've ever seen."

She tilted her head, bristling, "Traders are clean. I've sat on many shows-"

"They're clean when they come to your house to present their wares, but when they're traveling they tend to get a little messy. And we will do well to stay away from the sort of person who can afford to invite tradespeople to their houses."

"Then we need to get a little dirt on you, as well."

Jaxon's cheek quirked in a half-grin and he nodded. "Yes. We will." He walked past her, eyeing the walls and ceiling.

Kali watched him. He seemed to find what he was looking for and began to unfold the cloth. When she saw clasps, she understood. "They gave you a hammock. That's kind of them." She blushed and fixed her gaze upon the bed when he took his shirt off. He was wearing an undershirt, but still!

She had seen boys in their underclothes before, her brothers when they were very small would often run about the nursery in as few garments as the nannies would let them get away with. It was another thing altogether to see a grown man in his underwear.

"Yes, and I thanked them," he found both ends and began to hang them, "you impressed them, you know. Boris had been suffering that tooth for quite a while. They almost forgive you your vegetarian ways." Both ends hung, he decided to take his boots off and test the hammock.

Her vegetarian ways. They ate flesh. Ew. "I'm surprised they didn't seek a healer sooner." She took a seat on the edge of the bed, careful to keep her gaze toward the bulkhead behind the bed.

"Space crew of their reputation tend to forego seeking anything that may lead to leaving a record. They don't like to draw attention to themselves."

"They're smugglers."

"Yes." Jaxon sat into the cloth and tumbled backwards into the wall, "oof."

"Oh, no. That looks like that hurt." Kali scrambled to his side and helped him untangle his legs from the hammock. She touched her fingertips to his forehead to delve him.

"Oh, just my pride," he rubbed his shoulder. "That rather stings."

"You hit your head against the wall, here," one hand already on his head, she took his hand in her other hand and concentrated a flow of healing energy through him for a few minutes. "There."

The gentle tingling of the healer's gift was, as always, pleasant, and he relaxed into it. "Thank you." He sighed and side-eyed the hammock. "I'm going to try this again."

Kali nodded and sat on the bed again, to watch.

This time, he was successful. "You'll have to get the light, though."

"I think I can manage that." She again sat on the bed, "But I'm taking my boots off, first."

"I have faith in your capabilities," He carefully adjusted his body so his feet didn't dangle."It's rare for someone not from Pelos to be a healer."

"My mother's family is from Pelos. My elder sister and I are both healers, though she's stronger in the ability than I."

"Ah. And you have another mage in your family, don't you?"

"My younger brother and sister both show potential, yes. Their mother is very proud." Her boots off, she knelt at the foot of the bed to study the small control panel, pressing the light control button when she found it. The panel glowed a soft green in the darkness. Nice.

"How many siblings do you have?" The lack of light was nice. He crossed his arms and closed his eyes.

"I've four siblings. Two sisters and two brothers." The pillow was flat and there was no blanket. The ship still had a tremor. "You've two siblings, yes?" She rolled to her side and slid her arm beneath the pillow in an attempt to cradle her head.

"Yes. I'm the youngest of three. One brother destined for the throne, and one sister. Both already married to people they dislike."

"We would have been married if we'd stayed."

"We would have."

"I'm glad I'm not marrying you."

He opened an eye. "Do you hate me already?"

"I don't know." The mattress was lumpy. And had an off odor.

He closed his eye again. "Let me know when you figure it out."

She rolled to her back and stared up at the ceiling. "Jaxon."

"Yes."

"This is mental."

"Yes, but its better than getting married to someone you end up despising, all for expanding power, which often exploits the common people we rely upon for daily comforts." Lavender, that was the scent of the soap she used.

"Do you hate me already?"

"Not at all." She was holding up marvelously given the circumstances. And she was intelligent. It didn't hurt that she was also easy on the eyes and had a pleasant voice.

After a few minutes, Kali said, "I don't hate you, either."

"I'm glad for that."

"But you're not my favorite person, right now."

"That's fair." He felt his body settle into the hammock's embrace.

"Good night, Jaxon. I hope you have pleasant dreams."

Jaxon's brow twitched upward. "I hope you have pleasant dreams, as well. Goodnight Kali."