9

Gregorio, Should Really Pay More Attention to Where He's Going

"Madame Margarita? That's it? That's all you're giving me to work with?"

Frost crunched beneath my feet on the sidewalk as the scents of cold produce and frozen fish wafted down my block. Rubbed my eyes. It was getting early. Spent the remainder of my night staked out – don't, I know what I said – at the otherwise vacant security desk in Lily's building, watching the camera on the seventh floor for any sign of her returning home. Zippy. Pushed it for as long as close to sunrise as I could before packing it in, and I was growing more tired with every minute that inched toward dawn. My phone's low battery warning beeped in my ear as Phoebe huffed.

"I wrote down the address. Listen, I'm almost home. I'll leave you the notes inside. Or I can text."

"Both, please," I could picture her annoyedly twirling a phone cord round her finger, foot tapping. "And don't expect any results. Or a quick turnaround!"

"I keep you around for more than taking calls, you know. Just inquire, Phoebe. Please. I know you got the brains for this."

She snorted. "Firstly, you keep me around? I am the best thing that has ever happened to your shoddy PI firm." I smiled, grimaced, and said nothing about her lousy filing skills. "Second, I know exactly what kind of brains I have. Don't be so patronizing. But it's the paperwork, Greg. Paperwork you know I can't file in person so I will be forced to fax the Society Scrolls, Grimoires, and Records Department a request for a copy of a Tourism and Entertainment license—because despite being a government youse all built around magic, a fax machine is still how you file records requests—and I have to do this for a woman whom you can't even give me so much as a last name for! Did you at least get the name of the business?"

I winced. "Don't even think she had one."

"Okay," Phoebe sighed. "And remind me exactly what verifying whether this woman is a licensed psychic will do for the case?"

Yeah, old boy. What good would that do? Well, if she's human and faking, she won't be licensed. Society is strict when it comes to dishing those out. And proving she's human would do what, precisely, pal? Will it help you find Lily or just quell a nagging feeling in that noggin of yours?

"Just following every lead."

Lily was alive, I'd bet a stake on it. Where was she now? Don't know. Would I check her apartment again tomorrow? Of course. And yet despite coming up with this brilliant plan of action, I still couldn't shake the question of why a girl with a vampire admirer might have sought out the advice of a psychic.

"Do you believe in reincarnation?" I asked Phoebe.

A long silence, and then, softly. "Well, second chances are always a nice thought."

"Yeah," I agreed. They are. I've had plenty. Phoebe, my dear, had never been so lucky. I cleared my throat, not wanting this mournful silence to be the last thing between us before I turned in for the day. My front door was in sight, and I needed to put this long night to rest. "Last thing. I've got Lily's address. Naturally, I'm locked out. Kept on it all night but she no showed. If my situation doesn't change by tomorrow, I may need you to call me in a favor with—"

"Alas, what news have you, Gregorio!"

I jumped. Smacked my head against the metal awning Dmitri was hanging from. Dropped my phone too. Listen, I'm sure as Shirley not proud of it but the kook caught me off guard this time. The bump my head earned after that'll probably match the one Margarita was trying to hide on her forehead.