Chapter 3: Newlyweds

When Lucy reopened her eyes, she was in her bed, enveloped by her pink fluffy comforter and the gentle warmth of the sun shining through her open apartment window. She turned her head towards her kitchen, confused to hear sounds of clattering pans and something sizzling on the stove.

Rubbing the sleep away from her eyes, she unwillingly parted from the warm, comfortable sheets to investigate what was going on in her kitchen. There, she found a shirtless Natsu pushing something around in a pan. At the sound of her entrance, he turned his head around and grinned once he caught a glimpse of her. He put down the spatula and came to greet her by wrapping his arms around her waist and placing a quick peck on her cheek. "Morning, honey." He purred. "I thought I would make us breakfast to celebrate our first full night of sleep."

The flush on Lucy's face spread down her neck and to her chest. What on earth happened to Natsu? And what was he talking about? She opened her mouth, trying to find words to say, but was left utterly speechless. When she tried to give some form of a response, a finger was placed onto her lips, shushing her. "Shh... Don't say anything, just go sit down at the table. I made you your coffee. Don't worry, its decaf," he said before returning to his work at the stove. Her mind and body were in two different places. Her feet took her to the table where as promised, a cup of coffee greeted her. Her mind was going a thousand miles a minute.

"What is going on?" she thought. Her apartment seemed different. The normally empty, but comfortable atmosphere was replaced with an intimate, homey feeling. She saw unfamiliar picture frames on the wall, including pictures of her and Natsu, but they seemed older. Older, and more touchy-feely. It brought a foreign feeling of joy to her heart. Grabbing the cup of coffee to take an uneasy sip, something sparkly on her left hand caught her eye. There, the engagement ring and wedding band sat comfortably, glimmering in the morning light coming through the window.

"Why am I still wearing it?"

She leaned to the side a bit to see if Natsu was wearing his. Sure enough, he was.

Finally regaining a bit of her sanity, she shook her head and looked up to the man who had made himself comfortable in her home. "What the hell is going on?" she questioned, raising her voice. Natsu turned around, eyes wide.

"Shh! Don't talk so loud! You might wake-" he was cut off by a loud wail from another room. He sighed. "Don't worry, I'll get her. Can you watch the bacon, make sure it doesn't burn?" he stated before leaving the kitchen.

"Wait a minute... was that a-"

"Shh..." she heard Natsu console as he reappeared with a bundle in his arms. "I think someone wants her Mama," he said, carefully handing the baby to her with a smile. She curiously peered down at the small child but frowned when she saw its face covered by the blanket. She brought a hand to uncover it but gasped when she saw a blue, furry, cat child staring back up at her. Her face twisted into one filled with pure horror, all of the happy, domestic feelings instantly leaving her body.

"Aye sir!" it sang.

Sitting up in bed, Lucy screamed, her hair stuck to her face with sweat. She frantically lifted her left arm, letting out a sigh of relief when she saw that her ring finger was not wrapped with silver bands. It had been three weeks since the wedding. When Lucy had woken up after fainting at the chapel, she immediately went down to the courthouse with Natsu to try and fix it.

"We'd like an annulment, please," Lucy stated to the judge. She looked up from the papers they had filled out and observed Lucy's attire. There she stood, still clad in the wedding dress.

"Ma'am, are you sober?" she questioned.

"Yes! I am sober. My partner and I are mages, and we had to fake a wedding to lure out an evil wizard. Long story short, it was a real one. Now, can we please get this annulled so I can go home a Hearfillia!" she cried, stomping her foot to emphasize how distressed she was. She looked over to Natsu, to see how he was taking this whole ordeal, to find he was no longer standing next to her. He stood by a fish tank near the back of the room. His hands were on the glass, peering in excitedly as if he were a child visiting the aquarium.