Night 2

SAIFAH SHIFTED ON THE BED, woken up by the feeling that something was missing. The side next to him was unpleasantly cold and even the blanket was not giving him the same kind of warmth he was expecting to find. An artificial light tried to break through his eyelids and a soft but steady clatter reached his ears. He frowned. 'What is that? Is someone typing on the computer?' he thought and blinked his eyes open. Apart from the screen light, it was pitch-black and he barely saw anything at all.

He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and fixed his gaze on a male figure sitting at the desk. Zon, wearing only his glasses and boxers, was writing something in a Word file, completely unaware of the motion in the bed. This unusual image made Saifah frown even harder. 'What on Earth is he doing? What time is it?' The questions were swirling in his head. His mind was still half asleep and he tried to find a clock somewhere. There was none within his reach, however, and his phone was hidden in his jeans as well—way too far to check it without drawing Zon's attention. He knew it couldn't be morning yet, though, as even outside was still under the cover of darkness.

He looked back at Zon, at his bare shoulders and legs on the chair; his fingers hitting the keyboard with full focus.

"What time is it?" he asked, in a hoarse voice.

Zon flinched at the question and turned around. "Sorry, did I wake you up?"

His eyes, looking at Saifah with surprise, were even rounder and bigger behind those thick glasses and his hair was still a total mess; every strand facing a different direction. For some reason, he looked a bit like a scared, featherless owl. Kinda cute, if someone was into nerds, that is.

And, honestly speaking, Saifah was.

"What time is it?" he repeated, sitting on the bed. His whole body was sore and with every move his neck was cracking painfully. Adding this to his barely conscious mind was not an ideal condition and he wished for a bit more sleep.

"Around four-forty," answered Zon.

How long did he sleep, then? An hour? One and a half? And what about Zon, did he manage to rest at all? As far as Saifah remembered, he was lying next to him, but it didn't take Saifah long to drift off, so who knew for sure.

"Come 'ere, Zon." He patted the bed next to him and smiled. "Whatever you're doing, it can wait."

"I'm fine. Go back to sleep, don't you worry about me."

"It's late—or early, if you want."

Zon smiled wryly. There was a hint of hesitation before he opened his mouth again. "I'm not the type who likes cuddles, y'know?" he admitted slowly.

"Who doesn't like that?," blurted out Saifah, astounded. But it wasn't time for that, nor was it the reason for his invitation, so he shook his head instead and continued quickly: "Nevermind, we don't have to. Just come. I bet you didn't sleep at all."

He saw a struggle in Zon's eyes, a nervous lick of his mouth and a few unnecessary blinks. The other day, after their first hookup, Zon had dashed out of the room almost as soon as they were both satisfied enough and left Saifah alone in bed as well. At that time, he didn't think of it twice; he just assumed it was only about sex and Zon had tried to avoid some awkward small talk or stupid questions. But this time, it was Zon's own bed and Saifah didn't really care about more body contact; he just wanted them both to have some rest.

Was he so unappealing, that Zon felt disgusted to lay down next to him, or what?

He was almost ready to back off when his host laid eyes on him.

"To be honest, I can't sleep with someone else in bed."

Now it was Saifah's turn to blink rapidly. "At all?"