Chapter Three

"Come on Dani! Please? I want my best friend at my party!" Tony begged her best friend as they walked to the tattoo shop, Rincila.

"Fine! I'll go, BUT you're not going to convince me to do anything else!" Dani finally caved after hours of her friend's begging.

"Okay, okay, deal." They arrived outside of Rincila but Tony waited to open the door. "Oh, and can you invite Kenji for me, I'm gonna be talking to Hernan. Thanks!" With that Tony scurried into the shop.

"Wait! Tony! Hey!" Dani ran in after her only to find herself standing alone in the center of the room, Tony already talking with Hernan and Kenji was staring at her with a slight smile on his face.

Dani covered her face in embarrassment as she walked over to the empty chair by Kenji.

"Hey, blondie."  His voice was teasing, it always made Dani's skin heat up and she wanted to get in a rocket and escape the planet.  

"H-hi." She wanted to facepalm after she spoke. It was so embarrassing to stutter, but the fact that he was the cause of it made her even more flustered.

"Um, Tony wants me to invite you to her Christmas party on Saturday."

"Oh really?" He smiled at the way she nodded. "Depends blondie, are you gonna be there?" He asked as he took off his balck gloves and finished wiping down his station from his previous client.

"I- Um yes, I'm gonna be there." She played with the ends of her yellow tennis skirt as she looked in her lap.

"Then you can let Tony know I'll be there. Text me the address?" Kenji asked as he opened his drawing pad and began to draw.

"I don't have your number." Dani admitted shyly.

"Oh I guess you don't." He laughed before passing her his phone. "Put your number in."

"Okay..." Dani put her number in his phone and handed it back.

Kenji couldn't help but smile at the contact name: "Blondie"

"I'll text you and you can just save my number." Dani nodded and he texted her.

Dani smiled to herself as she saved his contact: "Ink"

"No notepad today, blondie?"Kenji asked with a raised eyebrow. Dani swore it made him more attractive.

"No, I forgot it at home." He nodded and continued to draw on his pad.

"So what're you gonna do while you wait then?" Dani thought for a second,she didn't really know.

"I don't know, probably just sit on my phone." She answered as she picked her phone up again.

"Oh come on, that's boring blondie. Why don't we go get hot chocolate from the cafe across the street?" Kenji offered as he closed up his drawing book and placed it on his desk.

"Sure!" Dani stood from her seat and straightened out her skirt while Kenji grabbed his jacket. She blushed as he held the door for her and they both made their way down to the cross walk.

They waited for the light to change to allow them to walk across the busy road. Dani saw it change and took a step out into the road but one of the drivers didn't stop and she almost got hit.

Luckily, Kenji had grabbed the back of her sweater just in time, pulling her back to the sidewalk before she got hurt.

"You've got to be more careful blondie." He held onto her upper arm and she looked up at him, fear still evident on her face as she nodded slowly. He walked with her across the street and held the door for her when they got to the cafe.

She thanked him and they made their way to the line of people.

"Blondie, go find us a seat, I'll order." She was going to argue that she could pay but he stopped her and directed her towards the tables. She nodded silently and went to find them both a table.

Kenji came back with their drinks and sat at the table.

"So blondie, what do you do?" Kenji asked as he took a sip of his hot chocolate.  

"Um, I major in creative writing. I also have a job at the mall. What about you?" Dani warmed her hands up by holding the cup of hot cocoa.

"Blondie, we met at my job." Kenji chuckled.

"Oh my God, why am I so dumb?" She thought to herself as she hid her face in the palm of her hand.

"It wasn't dumb blondie, it was cute. Now, let's head back to the shop." Kenji smiled as he stood and reached for her hand to help her out of the booth.

Dani smiled lightly and allowed her hand to slip into his, heart beating quickly as he pulled her up out of her seat.

When they walked back into the shop Tony ran up to Dani and pulled her away.

"You could have at least texted me! I called your phone like six times you're lucky I didn't call the police!" She yelled as she hugged her tight.

"Chill out Tony, she was fine. She was with me, and she only almost got hit by a car so I say it-" Tony's eyes widened.

"SHE ALMOST GOT HIT BY A CAR?!" Tony pulled her further from Kenji. "She's a baby! She has to be protected!"

"Tony, I'm 19, not a baby, and Kenji literally saved me. I'm fine." Dani pulled away laughing and Tony rolled her eyes mumbling about how Dani was still a child.

"That might be the boldest I've ever heard you talk blondie." Kenji teased, making Dani flustered.

"C'mon Dani, we have party planning to do." Tony pecked Hernan on the cheek before getting her jacket and walking towards the door.

Kenji leaned in close to Dani's face, mouth next to her ear, and whispered, "Goodnight blondie, see you on Saturday."

Dani's heart fluttered as he pulled away and she sttuered out a quick 'Goodnight' before running over to Tony and linking arms with her.

"So, blondie?" Tony asked as she watched her friend blush.

"Shut up." Dani laughed as she pulled her feet up onto the couch.

"Look, just don't get hurt. Kenji seems like a really nice guy but don't let anyone pressure you into something you don't want." Dani nodded.

"So you're saying I don't have to go to the Christmas party you pressured me into going to?" A smug look painted Dani's face.

"Doesn't count!" Dani laughed at her best friend and they continued to look for decorations and things for the party.

"So, you like Dani?" Hernan asked his best friend as they closed up the shop together.

"Yeah, she's cute and shy and I really like her man." Kenji admitted as he mopped the floor.

"That's not usually your type, I mean c'mon, Jessica was definitely not shy." Kenji sighed as his best friend once again brought up his ex.

"Look, I dunno what changed, but I really like Dani. No bullshit." Hernan nodded.

"Just don't hurt her man, I'm not losing Tony because you're a player." Kenji rolled his eyes and they finished cleaning up the store.