Chapter Four

Kenji was wearing a black tank top, leather jacket, and black jeans when he got dressed for Tony's party. Before walking out of the house he paired black sneakers with his outfit.

When Kenji pulled up to the house, it was decorated in Christmas lights and loud music could be heard from the street. He texted Dani, letting her know he was there, before parking his car.

He walked in and saw Dani, who was wearing a soft yellow dress with a white sweater, walking towards the door, visibly intoxicated but also looking like she wasn't having a good time. "Hey, blondie. Woah-" He caught her by her arm as she stumbled into him.

"Hey..." Dani tried to stand up straight again. "Sorry, they made me drink a lot." She held her head and Kenji supported her by holding her side.

"Who?" His voice was stern and had concern dripping from it as he spoke. She shook her head but he just asked again, "Who, blondie?" And she finally caved.

"Um, Tony and her friends." Dani pointed to the group who was sitting on the couch in the living room, drinking and laughing while playing some stupid game.

"Did you want to drink?" His voice was genuine and it made Dani's stomach turn.

"No, not really... but it's okay, they're drunk too so they didn't realize they were pressuring me." Dani excused the group for their actions as they were intoxicated as well. Kenji, however, was less forgiving.

"I don't care if they're drunk, that's no excuse." He walked over to the group, Dani trailing behind him silently. "Hey! I don't know what the hell you guys were thinking, but never pull something like that again. She said she didn't want to drink, respect that."  His dark clothing contrasted with the soft yellow of the girl he was standing up for as he stood in front of her and confronted the group.

The group apologized to the man who looked very intimidating at this moment and he turned around to walk away, almost crashing into Dani who was hiding behind him.

"Hey, let's get you out of here." He said while Dani held the side of her head and nodded. "Is it okay if I take you to my place?" He asked as he held her side for support.

"Y-yeah sure." Dani slurred as she let him hold her upright. They both made their way to Kenji's car and he helped her into the passenger seat.

"I've only drank once before. My head really hurts, I don't like parties." Dani said with her head resting against the window. 

"I'm never letting you go to one again." Kenji laughed.

"Thank you for protecting me." Dani said quietly as she closed her eyes.

Kenji felt warmth pool in his cheeks as he blushed at her sweet words. "Of course, Dani." The girl was already breathing softly while sleeping, but he responded to her anyway.

He pulled into the parking lot of his apartment building and turned off the car. He looked to his right and smiled at the sleeping girl. He watched her for a moment, taking in every small detail.

Her dyed blonde hair with roots that hadn't been covered in weeks, she must've not had time. Her long eyelashes that rested on pink cheeks as she slept.

He reached over and gently rubbed her shoulder. "Blondie, we're here." He whispered, making her stir before sitting up, fully awake.

"Oh sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep." She looked down in her lap, trying to hide the embarrassing blush that covered her face.

"It's okay, should we go inside?" Kenji asked with a slight chuckle. Dani nodded and they got out of the car.

She wasn't prepared for the cold wind that brushed through her thin white sweater and shivered harshly. "Are you cold?" Kenji asked her as he walked around the car.

"Yeah just a little, I wasn't expecting to leave Tony's house." She laughs as she wraps her arms around herself.

"Here." He took his leather jacket off and wrapped it around her.

The fabric was warm, already being heated up from Kenji wearing it, and it made the cold almost disappear as she was wrapped in it. She couldn't help but smile at the sweet gesture, feeling like an overused love story trope.

"Thank you." She smiled as he led the way to his apartment.

When they got inside Dani gave him his jacket back and looked around the apartment. She expected it to be at least a little bit messy considering it was a young adult male who lived here but, it was actually very clean.

There was a small kitchen and living room that were neat and organized, and a hall that led to the other rooms.

"Wow..." She said as she looked around.

"What?" Kenji chuckled at the woman who looked around the room in awe.

"Sorry, I just thought you would fit the stereotype of messy boys." She giggled, and Kenji put a hand over his heart in mock pain.

"Wow, I'm hurt, blondie." Kenji says with a shocked face, making Dani burst out laughing. "Oh?! You think it's funny?!" Kenji says with a roll of his eyes as he also slips into laughter.

"C'mon, blondie, I'm tired so let's get you ready for bed." Kenji smiled as he led her down the hall to his room. She followed him and stood in the doorway of the bedroom.

"Well, I don't think any pants that I own are gonna fit you, but if you wanna borrow a shirt you can." Kenji chuckles as he looks through his wardrobe.

"Oh no it's okay, you don't have to-" Kenji cut her off.

"Do you really wanna sleep in a dress? That you wore to a party with a bunch of sloppy drunk people?" Dani took a second before accepting the shirt that he handed her. "The bathroom is across the hall."

Dani walked out of the room and changed out of her dress into the shirt. It was huge on her small frame and went to about mid thigh. She folded her dress and awkwardly walked back to the bedroom.

"So do you want me to sleep on the couch?" Dani asked from the doorway as she looked up at the tan man who was laying in his bed already. She tried not to stare at the man who was only in black sweatpants, scrolling through his phone.

"Blondie, lay down." He rolled his eyes with a smile as he put his phone down on his bedside table. She blushed as she slowly made her way over to the bed and laid down.

"Goodnight, blondie." Kenji said before turning off the light on the table next to him.  "Goodnight, ink." She laughed at the nickname before settling in to sleep.