Liar

You were awoken by the feeling of being cold, as if someone had taken your blanket away from you. Except you still had your blanket; it was the top of your head and face that felt cold. You frowned, hearing movement in the room, and opened your eyes to see the doctor standing before you, rubbing at his eyes before putting his glasses on and brushing his fingers through his unruly hair. The windows behind the couch caught the beautiful amber tones in his hair, illuminated how strong his body really was. He was so pretty.

And then he turned around, presumably to make sure that you were still sleeping. You saw surprise flit across his face when he realized your eyes were open. He cleared his throat.

"Good morning," he said, his voice low and crackly from sleep. What a beautiful sound. You hadn't fully woken up yet, your mind still trying to process everything, so you nodded instead, giving him a small "hello" under your breath. You realized you had fallen asleep on him, and that what woke you up was him removing himself from the couch.

You would have been embarrassed, but he wouldn't have stayed with you if he didn't want to. It was clear by the look in his eyes that he was struggling with something, whether it was what to say or what to do. Finally, you broke eye contact with him, sitting up on the couch while pulling the blanket closer around your body.

"Sorry for falling asleep," you said. "It wasn't a boring movie, I promise."

He smiled softly at you.

"It's alright, I understand. I'm sure you were tired."

"Yeah..."

The room devolved into awkward silence, the both of you unsure what to say.

"Um, I'm going to get changed. Would you like to come with me?"

You knew what he meant. He was asking if you wanted to change your clothes as well, not that he wanted you in the bathroom with him. But the way he had phrased it was just strange enough that you'd be able to tease him. You looked up at him confusedly, secretly enjoying the way he stammered when he tried to correct himself.

"I mean, I'm going to change my clothes in the restroom, I was wondering if you wanted to do the same?"

"Oh. Yeah. Absolutely," you replied, hiding your smile. He truly was adorable. You grabbed your bag, and the both of you headed to the bathrooms after he stopped at his desk for his own clothes. You took a deep breath, enjoying the solitude at least for the moment. Every second you were around him or anyone else, you had to be on. You had to turn on your charm, your demure persona, a sweet girl with a soft smile and a shy demeanor. It was fucking exhausting.

The two of you walked in silence as you followed him to the restrooms, and then you saw them out of the corner of your eye. The Valassinos. You pretended you didn't even see them at first, and then realized that you couldn't ignore them completely. It was normal for citizens like you to be curious, to wonder what criminals looked like, wonder what they did. So you glanced over at them, keeping your face blank but letting your eyes linger for a moment before they were out of your eyeline. You couldn't give away that you recognized them. They were staring straight at you, their wrists almost straining against their cuffs as Hotch and Morgan led them through the bullpen to somewhere else. Once you were down the hall and away from everyone else, you decided to ask.

"Spencer?" you asked quietly.

"Yes?"

"Why were those men looking at us?"

He knew why, but he didn't know that you did.

"I'm not sure," he murmured thoughtfully. You saved the sound of his voice in your head for future notice. You wanted to remember what it sounded like when he lied.