Resolving the conflict

The next morning, Edward was sentenced to shunting in the yard. Edward was in a foul mood, and was rough with the trucks.

"Oh, oh, oh, oh!" They cried.

"Shut up, and get into line!" Edward grumbled.

The other engines were quick to notice.

"Stop biffing the trucks, Edward." Said Henry. "You might damage one of them."

"He's right, Edward." Agreed Toby. "You always told us that trucks don't like to be bumped, now it's out turn to keep you in line."

"Yeah, well this wouldn't have happened if you guys said I should get help." Edward retorted. "So just mind your own business!"

The engines, not wanting to make Edward mad, left without saying a word.

That evening, Henry was alone with Gordon and James in the sheds. Gordon and James could tell that Henry looked unhappy.

"Henry, is something wrong?" Asked James.

"I can tell something is wrong. Want to talk about it?" Gordon huffed.

"It's not something I want anyone else to know about." Henry replied.

"We can keep it a secret. Come on, it's obvious you need to talk." Chuffed James.

"I'm fine. You don't need to worry, okay?" Henry tried to give a fake smile.

"Henry, stop lying. Just tell us what's wrong." Gordon huffed. 

Henry knew that he can't keep lying forever, and told his friends the truth.

"It's about Edward." He finally admitted.

"What about Edward?" Asked James.

"Yeah, what's wrong with him?" Puffed Gordon.

"I don't know... that's the thing. He just lost motivation to do anything and... forget I said anything."

"Henry, stop playing these games with us. I know you try to hide everything. Just tell me. I promise it'll stay between us." Said Gordon.

"We're your friends, Henry. We won't ever let something as insignificant as that get you down." Sighed James.

Henry looked down at his buffers.

"Guys, it's okay. That's all I'll say." Henry replied. "Now, we have to get back to work."

Gordon and James were confused, but said no more, and left to do their work.

A day later, Gordon and James finally asked Henry about it. Henry didn't know what to say. He knew he shouldn't share what was going on, but he also wasn't sure what to say to ease his worry.

"Come on, Henry. Just tell me what's bothering you." James pleaded.

"I-I'm not supposed to say anything..." Henry whispered.

"You can trust us, can't you?" Gordon huffed. "We won't tell anyone."

"I can't tell you. You don't need to worry, okay? It's fine. It's under control. I promise." Henry did his best to reassure his friends. Gordon and James weren't buying it at all, though.

"Alright. Just, you know you can talk to me if you need to, okay?" Gordon and James knew they weren't going to get anything more out of Henry.

"Okay. I promise there's no need to worry." Henry said as he tried to smile.

While Henry wasn't exactly approached to talk, he did get questions during work. The passengers would often ask were Edward was at. Henry just told them he was sick and wouldn't be able to work for a while. They seemed to believe him, so that was it for him.