Chapter Three

My confessions meet yours
Forever your secrets on this dance floor
Never had I asked for this
I want only your lips
And you even knew before me
Because only blindly I could see
And prove me wrong when I say,
"It would be wrong of you to stay"
Forever returning back to this evening in May
Try to change my mind
Make me set my doubts free
My desolation is yours to seize
Little did we know we were never destined to meet

When I woke, it didn't hit me directly. It took me a while of tossing and turning with my eyes still closed to catch sign of my nakedness underneath the sheets. This bed was inconceivable warm, and I could blindly tell that at least half of the sheets were being taken from me. There was nothing to worry about, was there?

Then, I seemed to remember, vividly. I remembered how he wouldn't let go of me just like I'd asked of him. I remembered how he kissed my body ever so gently until the late hours of the night. It was as though I were slowly landing from a nightmare, but I wasn't quite touching the ground yet and wasn't sure I even wanted to, because what awaited was going to be a shock, perhaps a regret, though I knew I couldn't keep denying what had happened last night with my eyes still closed and remain pretend-asleep until he'd finally sneak out.

I wondered to myself how I had let him do all these things with me, and how eagerly I had participated in them, and spurred on them, and waited for him, begging him.

When I finally had the courage to open my eyes, I found myself reaching for clothing that was closest to me. Almost in a hurry, I covered myself up and in the process I caught sight of him— waking up, stretching and yawning. It all got back to me; the magic of his mouth, my hand squeezing his, the tattoo that I'd admired more than once. The memories flashed before my eyes. I was instantly reminded of what I'd done it for. His bare chest, where I had kissed him multiple times, was clearly visible, and I was surprised to notice he was free of any marks I had attempted to leave on him. That reminded me... vampires healed, didn't they?

As I snuck off to the shower, I wasn't going to contradict the fact that I had enjoyed his company more than I had anyone else's these past months. I recollected last night in the back of my mind. Down at the bar, his comfort had forced me to reveal more of myself than I had wished to. I recalled I had the impulse to stop him, but no longer wanted to when we finally danced. Not even when I discovered the truth about him, placed the puzzle pieces together to reveal him to myself. It should have been a warning, a wake up call, but I never acted upon it and now I knew there was a chance I'd regret it. Even so, his charm had been my weakness, just like his hands had been my weakness. Thinking back, dwelling on the long hours of last night, it had been breathtaking, exciting and amazing. I knew I was flushed while thinking about it, and the worst parts inside of me hoped I would be given the chance to relive at all again, but it also put me to shame— to my recently broken family, to the humans, and to myself.

There was nothing I wanted more than to climb back into bed with him and pretend that he wasn't what he was, and to skip my priorities of the day, do last night over completely, but I couldn't.

Minutes later, in complete silence, I slipped on my coat, but before I had the chance to gather my things after my brief shower, a voice spoke. "Sneaking out on me, love?"

He startled me, and when I looked at him, I caught him looking at me with a smile on his face. He was sitting comfortably, the sheets covering him up only barely. It was a distracting sight, and of course he knew it. I was standing awkwardly at the foot of the bed, not knowing what to do with my hands, so I played nervously with my fingers. He must have noticed me struggling to represent myself as the bold and certain woman he had seen me be last night, because he glanced away to give me relief. I look ridiculous, I thought. This and the butterflies he awoke in my stomach, which I hoped he wouldn't sense, were undoubtedly giving me away.