CHAPTER 16

"You know you scared me nearly to death!" Shadow said, "I thought you literally couldn't breath."

"Oh well." I said, "Why don't you go cry to your mommy about it."

"You are so mean." Shadow said, "What if one of these days you actually couldn't breath and I wouldn't believe you because of what you did. You would probably die."

"Yeah, but what are the chances of that happening?" I asked.

"I'm just saying if it DID happen. It would be just like the wolf who cried boy." he said.

"What?" I asked.

"You know. The Wolf Who Cried Boy, it's a classic." Shadow said.

"Never heard of it." I said.

"Then that explains a lot." he said.

"Okay, whatever. I don't care." I said, "Let's just go to sleep."

"Good idea." Alaska said. We all went to sleep.

I woke up the next day ready to face the day. Roger was wondering how I got my collar off, but he brought Mac, Alaska, Shadow, and I on a walk and we practiced our tricks. When we got home, I couldn't wait for Roger to leave. I could already tell that I was going to have a fun time with Kavik.

"I don't know how you keep getting out of your collar." Roger said, tightening my collar around my neck. I coughed and pretended like it was too tight. Roger slipped two of his fingers under my collar.

"You're fine." Roger said. He took the collar and tried to slip it off of my head, but it was too tight and wouldn't come off.

"That should be good," he said, "but just to be safe..." Roger scooted the sofa in front of the door.

"How are you supposed to get out now, smart one?" I thought.

"Uh..." Roger said. He moved the couch out of the way and went through the door and then he reached through the doggie door and scooted the couch back in front of the door. I waited for his car to drive away and then I tried to get my collar off.

"Can you get this off of me?" I asked Alaska.

"I don't think Roger wants you to leave." she said.

"Who said anything about leaving?" I asked, "I just want this collar off."

"Why?" she asked.

"It's bothering me." I said.

"I'm not falling for that." Alaska said.

"Shadow-" I said.

"No." he said.

"Ugh." I said, "Mac?"

"Why do you even want to leave?" Mac asked.

"Yeah." Shadow said, suddenly sounding interested.

"I really have to pee." I lied.

"Don't believe him." Shadow said.

"Do you want me to go on the floor again?" I asked.

"You have five seconds to go." Mac said, and then he loosened my collar.

"Ha! Tricked ya!" I said. I ran to move the sofa out of the way, but Mac pushed it against the door and Shadow and Alaska ran over to help. I tried to move it away, but they were too strong.

"You have five seconds to step away from the couch." I said lifting my leg.

"You wouldn't dare." Shadow said.