fourty-five

< June >
< Sunday >

{ Tatum }

I could not contain my excitement. Today I get to surf in my first tournament since my injury. I was supposed to surf back in March, but with my grandpa dying and me trying to get everything there taken care of, I couldn't.

My alarm blared at exactly 5:15 am- but I was already awake. I shot right up, elbowing Ashton in the ribs, causing him to groan. He stayed over last night. But he didn't get here until 1 am. He got stuck at the studio.

I went to get out of bed, but my arm was grabbed and Ashton whined,

"I have to get up Ash" I sighed. He once again whined like a child, but let go of my arm.

I got out of bed and flicked my lamp on, which only made Ashton whine even more. I pulled my comforter back over his bare torso and walked out to the kitchen, making myself a fruit smoothie and getting snacks packed for the day.

Chris texted me telling me he was almost here to get me, which means I need to get moving.

I went back into my room and got ready as quietly as I could. I didn't want to wake Ashton. He was going to sleep in then come to the beach before my first heat.

When Chris said he was here, I tossed my backpack on my back and shook Ashton,

"I'm leaving," I told him. He rolled over and sat up,

"Okay baby" he kissed my lips, "I'll be there in a bit. Let me know if you need me to bring anything"

"I will. See you soon" I kissed him again,

"I love you" he called,

"Love you"

****

We got to the beach and I headed down to the sand. I checked in and put on my black long sleeve rashguard. I started waxing all my boards and picked my favorite to start off with. I went through my routine, stretches, and warmups, then the trainer taped my knee up.

I now sat in the sand, snacking on some fruit. The first heat was on right now. I wasn't until heat 3.

I was nervous to get back in the water. I haven't surfed in a while. I didn't want to fuck up and I didn't want to get hurt again.

I screamed when arms went around me. I recognized my boyfriend's giggle in my ear right away,

"Hi baby" he pecked my lips once I turned. He was wearing shorts and the shirt with my name on it. He was also supporting a ball cap,

"Sorry I was grumpy this morning" he apologized and took a seat next to me,

"It's okay. You were tired" I leaned my head on his shoulder and stared at the ocean,

"You okay?" Ashton questioned, wrapping his arm around me and stealing a grape,

"I'm scared" I admitted,

"Tate, you can't think about getting hurt again. You just gotta go out there and do your thing" he told me, kissing my head. I took a breath and nodded

****

It was almost time for me to surf. I was standing with Chris and Ashton. My board was under my arm and I was bouncing in place.

They called us out and I took a big breath,

"You've got this babe. Go surf your cute butt off" Ashton kissed me and playfully smacked my butt as I ran off.