"Answers Before Questions"

Sgt. Samuels pulled into the park parking lot around 5:50am. He wanted to get there before Chris. He scanned the park to see where he wanted to talk to Chris and that's when he saw Chris sitting on a bench drinking coffee from an am/pm cup.

Samuels exited his cruiser and walked towards Chris

"You're early" said Samuels

"No. I'm not. You're late" said Chris

"It's 5:51" said Samuels

"Yeah. You're 6 minutes late. And do you mind being 6 feet apart since you're not wearing a mask"

Samuels looked at Chris and saw that he was wearing a mask and only slightly bringing it down to sip his coffee

"We're outside, don't worry. You're safe" said Samuels

"I can't take that chance. My mom has asthma" said Chris

"Ok" said Samuels. As he took a few steps back

"So, what questions do you need to ask me, Sergeant?"

"Right to business, huh"

"Yeah. I have to be at work in a little bit" said Chris. Taking another sip of his gas station coffee

"No. You don't" said Samuels

"What are you talking about?"

"Amazon and San Bernardino Law enforcement has had a nice relationship since they started building warehouses all over the Inland Empire. I talked to your shift manager and told her that I needed to talk to you. So, you don't have to worry about being late. Consider today a paid vacation"

Chris gritted and grinded his teeth with his mouth closed. He didn't like that the sergeant was meddling with his job. Regardless of a free day off, he didn't want anyone to know that he was talking to the police.

"That wasn't necessary. This will be a short conversation because as I told you before, I do not know anything." Emphatically said Chris

"You know it's a crime to lie to cop, right"

"I do know that, copper. Nevertheless, my answer hasn't changed"

"You know. 24 hours is a long time for a cop. You can get a lot of things done when you know what you're looking for"

"No need to be cryptic, sergeant. What are you about to say?"

"I know why they call you KO"

"That's not a tough nut to crack, Samuels"

"True, but it's who you knocked out that interested me"

Chris winced at the sergeant. He momentarily forgot how many resources the police have at their disposal.

"Can you just ask your questions, Walter" said Chris in a haste, annoyed tone.

"Richard Smith was shot last Wednesday, at approximately 5:35am, near San Andreas High School while walking his pit bull. Gracie" said Samuels in a matter-of-fact fashion

"Ok"

"He wasn't robbed. His phone, wallet, watch was found still on his person when the paramedics arrived but unfortunately Mr. Smith died at the scene"

"Ok"

"That more than likely means it was a targeted attack and not a robbery gone wrong"

"Ok"

"Alas, Smith was no angel. We believe he supplied drugs to the local pushers. Pills, lean, powder. He was no kingpin but a player in the city nonetheless"