Part 36: Snowflakes

The moments after Zach's call were a blur for Laurel. She remembered James rushing to her, putting his hand around her waist and searching for answers about her state.

"Sara. . . ."

"What happened to Sara?"

"Zach called. . . I have to see him."

A thousand thoughts swirled in her mind, and she felt as if she couldn't breathe. She put her hand on her stomach and shallowed the nauseated feeling that filled her body.

"I'll drive you there."

"No!" she exclaimed rougher than she intended. She didn't want him to learn about her mother's plan yet. Not because she didn't trust him, but she couldn't deal with more questions and worries.

"Asher can help me."

She avoided making eye-contact. How could she explain what her mind was telling her? She didn't have proof, but her instinct warned her that if her mother had taken Sara, then she was targeting her friends. Sara was the only human close enough to Laurel to cause serious emotional damage.

Asher was the only vampire around her. Therefore, she had to make sure that he wouldn't leave her side until the final battle.

"What about the witch?" Lyra asked. "We aren't close to any witch."

Laurel didn't know the answer. What was worrying her the most was the werewolf her mother intended to sacrifice. She couldn't keep an eye on everyone. All of her people were in danger.

She finally looked at James' spring green eyes.

"I can't explain right now, but, please, be careful. Tell everyone to watch out."

"Laurel, talk to me. You scare me."

"Just make sure that no one wanders alone."

He nodded perplexed but didn't want to push her more. His mate looked terrified, and if that could ease her fright, he would make sure to secure everyone.

Asher came to them. Laurel hadn't heard James calling him, but it didn't matter.

"We must go to Thomas's house. I'll call you as soon as possible. Be careful." She kissed him and looked at him with pleading eyes.

She sat in the car, and Asher turned on the engine and drove off.

"What happened?"

"Not now. I need to think." She pressed her lips together. Her hands were trembling, so she curled them into fists and took a few breaths.

Sara was gone. Her mother would keep her alive for a couple more days. That thought comforted her a little. At least, she was alive. She tried with every ounce of power to get inside her mother's mind, but her effort was fruitless.

"Come on!" she said, disappointed, and Asher looked at her, worried.

However, he didn't say anything and put his foot hard on the accelerator.

Lena was leaning over the huge, walnut table. Books about ancient Egyptians, witchcraft books, and even some human history books laid on top of it. In the center of the table was a big parchment with Zach's designs.

At the middle of it stood the infinity symbol, which is also called lemniscate: a horizontal, figure-eight symbol. Four lines started from it and ended in four corners. At the end of each line stood another symbol.

Firstly, the pentagram: the symbol of the witches. It represented the five elements: earth, air, water, fire, and spirit. The last one was very rare, and witches rarely talked about it because of the power the bearer could possess, but respected it nevertheless.