The Pictures on my Walls

My walls are crowded with smiling faces, my favorite moments frozen in time.

Above my bed is a framed photo of my math class. It's candid- another teacher must have taken it while passing by, most likely hearing all our boisterous laughter from down the hall. Balloons fill the classroom, me and my classmates clutching our stomachs from laughing so hard. My math teacher looks amused and shakes his head at us, and the words Surprise! Happy Birthday! is written in bold writing on the Whiteboard.

Then there's an incredibly blurry picture of my friend, an almost impossible-to-see shadow in the background. We had just watched Hamilton for the first time and are unbelievably excited to meet the actors at the stage door. I remember how shaky my hand was as I took the picture, but I still keep it hanging because it was one of my favorite moments in the world, and our wide grins are perfectly clear.

There's the picture that I paid extra for, a chaotic photo of my theater's cast and crew. We had just finished our final show, and we were exhausted, relieved, and done! High on adrenaline, I distinctly remember asking an audience member if they would take a photo of me and my friend, as we were the co-stage managers for that production. I heard a wait! and in comes several other crew members, smiling and doing their best poses. I guess the cast saw the crew stealing their spotlight, so they too ran over and joined in the picture. It's incredibly last minute, and there are definitely some snapshots of the surprised look on my face to see everyone barreling over, but in that picture, I am able to remember all the love I have for my theater family.

Due to the stay-at-home orders, I rarely get to see my friends in person anymore. I'm now stuck in my room all day. However, seeing my favorite memories plastered all over my walls with familiar faces brings me much comfort and joy. My photos have helped me remember my blessings, and it's a helpful reminder to treasure each day. I rarely get to see people anymore, but if I do, I always make sure to snap a quick selfie.

So here's what I say to this moment: Say Cheese!