Chapter 10; Trouble

"Jean!" One of the younger Scouts shouted at a boy who was laughing tremendously at something (Y/n) had no idea of.

The hot bowl of veggie stew was still smoking hot, and (Y/n) didn't dare touch it yet. So, she sat lonesome and quiet at the table while she waited for it to cool down. 

"Ah, cadet (L/n)," A man whom (Y/n) recognized to be Erwin Smith spoke as he passed by. "Pardon my interruption," he apologized for suddenly speaking. "Just felt like greeting you, for we'll be much more likely to run into each other on missions. After all, you're on Hange's squad now."

(Y/n) quickly sat up straight. "Right! Of course! It'll be a pleasure working with you," she said with a smile plastered across her face.

Commander Erwin only gave her a polite nod as he continued onward, away from her table. (Y/n) had let out a breath. For some reason, the man was much more intimidating then Levi.

Turning back to her soup, (Y/n) placed the spoon into her mouth. But... It was... Scalding hot.

"Hot!" She shrieked, her voice spilling across the cafeteria. Everyone stared up at her.

Her tongue was throbbing, and she shakily set the spoon back into the bowl. "Sorry," she apologized to everyone, who all simmered down eventually.

(Y/n) sighed. "How embarrassing..."

"Well you're a noisy one, aren't you?" (Y/n) flung her eyes over her shoulder to see Captain Levi, who just always had to appear behind her. Her eyes were wide with surprise.

"You always seem to spook me like that, don't you!" She scolded.

Captain Levi handed her a wooden cup, that held ice cold water inside it. "Here," he mumbled. "I was going to give that to Hange, but she can get herself some later, im not her errand boy..."

(Y/n) thanked him by eagerly sucking down the iced water, her tongue feeling less pained. 

"Thank you," she wiped the water that had slipped from the corner of her lips onto her chin with her sleeve. "No problem, but you should try and think before you go and do something stupid like eating scalding hot soup again."

(Y/n) held in a sharp retort. "Right."

"I've got some things to attend to, I'll most likely see you around soon," he said while stepping away, heading the same direction Erwin went.

(Y/n) only nodded, folding her hands on the table as she let out a sigh of. Tiredness. 

---
Bushes and shrubs rustled in the wind, horse shoes clambering loudly as the Scouts made their way through the empty and grassy terrain. "Keep your eyes out for any titans!" Hange shouted, trying to ensure her squads safety.

After a days rest, they were back at destroying titans. (Y/n) steadied her breathing and focused on the task ahead. The horse's has begun to go faster, trampling over the flowing grass.

"All soldiers keep steady!" Hange announced as a larger titan appeared from behind a line of trees. She fired a red smoke signal, and then soon there was a whole fest of red smoke signals going up onto the air. 

The Hange Squad kept onward, heading straight toward the enormous trees (Y/n) knew so well. As soon as the horses ventured a few lengths before the forest, Hange's voice rang above them once more. "All soldiers switch to ODM!"

Wires shot out in unison, locking themselves into the tree bark and sending the Scouts flying into the forest.

"Everyone spread out! Keep and eye out for titans!" Hange shouted as her and her trusted ally Moblit flew side by side in the opposite direction of (Y/n). "Yes ma'am!" They all shouted.