The Heart's Music

Hi! I love music and books, and I've tried to combine both in this 1 - part ToG fanfic. It's about Samlaena, a ship I totally, absolutely and completely adore.

Sam sat in the corner of the music room, relieved at the peace and quiet. The only place in the Keep where he truly felt alone and not like he was being watched was in this room. The silence here was like another form of music. 

The quiet was interrupted by the soft closing of the door followed by footsteps. Sam sprang up, ready with an excuse, but he wasn't ready for what he saw.

Celaena was seated before the piano, her turquoise eyes considering the keys. She looked like she was summarizing whatever she was going to play, and Sam held his breath. He had never heard her play, and his heart beat with an eager excitement. She must be really preoccupied, he thought, for, miraculously, she didn't notice him.  (ik, that was a lot of commas😅)
Celaena closed her eyes and began to play. It started with a few slow and stumbling notes, and then the melody flowed. Her hand glided along the piano, and it felt s if she was playing that piece after a long, long time. Her memory of the song seemed to have taken over, for her expression said that she was somewhere far away.

Sam was mesmerized. Celaena was creating magic. He loved music, but he had never heard something like this. She took his breath away with every note she brought to life. The music made him yearn for a home he'd never seen, a bond that was never shared and love that he'd never felt.
Sam was so absorbed into it that he was surprised and dismayed when it ended.
Celaena looked up at him, her eyes glazed over, as if she couldn't see him. 

 "Please" he begged, not caring if he sounded too desperate. 

Celaena obliged immediately. She played the same song again, but this time was different. Sam felt as if he was watching something important happen as Celaena started singing. Everything made more sense now, but he couldn't understand the lyrics. It was sweet and distant, pure and raw. Sam swayed involuntarily, although Celaena wasn't the best singer. Not even close, but the song was just too beautiful.
___
Celaena finished playing. Arobynn had been telling them something when the song had flitted into her mind, making her oblivious to everything else. The music made her heart heavy and light all at once. It was a feeling that couldn't be described in words; the feeling caused by music.
She looked up and saw Sam, her mouth dropping open in shock. He was gazing at her hands, his eyes full of sweet memories that were now too painful. She recognized the feeling well.

Celaena wrenched her thoughts away. What had she just done? She had played a fae song. That too in front of Sam. She collected herself quickly and moved.
___
Sam panicked. Celaena was holding a blade to this throat, promising all sorts of threats if he spoke. his mind was still muddled, so he mumbled like an idiot, "Nice singing.....playing.....uh."

"Shut up" she hissed. "Not a word. You don't say a word and I let you go alive. Get it?"

Sam couldn't appear like this in front of Celaena. He also didn't want her to leave, even if it meant being cut by a knife.

"Breaking news!" he said. "Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's Assassin, has just been found singing! Her voice flows like a stream and her --" He stopped as Celaena dug in the knife, but not hard enough to draw blood. "You will shut your stupid mouth" she seethed.

"Okay. Fine." He said, throwing up his hands. Celaena slowly removed the knife, and he yelled, not taking his eyes off her face, "Everybody!"

Her eyes went wide and her mouth parted as she pushed him against a wall and pressed a hand over his mouth. Her nails dug in and her knees pinned his thighs, but his mind was upside-down at her closeness.

It took all of his strength not to pull her against him.

"Sorry." Sam said, peeling her hand off his mouth. "I won't tell a soul. You have my word." He promised. She didn't doubt his sincerity, but he was sorry at the absence of her warmth. 

Truly, it was a night he would remember even after death.

Sam's death was so devastating, and I like to pretend that he's still alive. Who else is with me on that?