Chapter 8. - Attack

"Happy birthday, dear Mia. Happy birthday to you!" I clapped awkwardly as Harper and mom finished their song while holding a wonky cake. I think it's universal that it's awkward for the celebrant whenever they're sung the "Happy Birthday" song, no matter what their age.

They set the cake down and mom told me to make my wish. I wished that some things be different, that I would finally find my rightful place, wherever that may be, and I also wished that some things stay the same, the two people with me, to be specific.

After we cut the cake, mom told us to go and get some firewood since we planned on building a bonfire later tonight.

"You okay?" Harper asked.

I nodded. "Why do you ask? Don't I look okay?"

She grinned. "If you want me to tell you how pretty my best friend is, you're out of luck."

"Aw, come on, it's my birthday, after all."

"Fine, fine. You, Mia Larkin, are the prettiest wolf celebrating their birthday today here, in this cabin."

"You're funny," I teased her.

"When is your birthday, anyway?" She asked suddenly.

"Um, today? I thought you knew that already, what with the cake and all," I nudged her shoulder with mine.

"No, I mean do you know the exact time you were born?"

"I think around six in the evening. Why?"

She shrugged. "Nothing. Just thought it would be cool to do something at that exact time."

"Sure, I guess. Mom would know the exact time."

We continued gathering firewood and stacking them behind the cabin we rented before mom called us in for lunch. I was surprised when there was a knock on the door while we were cleaning up after. I went to the door to answer it, expecting a ranger or something to come checking on us. I mean, that's what I've seen in the movies, but to my surprise, it was my four older brothers, Jameson, Jarick, Jagger, and Jervin come through. They each gave me a hug, but it was Jarick that lingered, and drew me to his side.

"Not that I don't appreciate you guys being here, and all, but what are you doing here?" I asked all of them. I had no idea why they were there since none of them showed any interest in celebrating my birthdays with me once I got past the age of twelve. Come to think of it, they weren't at the pack house either when I turned sixteen.

"What? We can't celebrate our sister's birthday with her?" Jameson teased just as mom stepped into the living room.

"What are all my boys doing here? Is everything okay?" She asked, giving each of them a hug.

"All the Larkin boys in one room, must be my lucky day," Harper laughed as she took in the sight of my brothers all in one room. She had always said, though I never saw it, that my brothers were some of the most attractive wolves she had ever come across. I guess they were okay, they were all dark and tall, and being wolves and training to join the warrior ranks in the pack, they were all built.

"Except for Jessie," I told her.

"Well, we know he doesn't really count, does he?" She winked at Jarick, who laughed lightly.

"Careful there, Harper, he's still our brother," he warned her teasingly.

A silence descended over the room and a weird tension was palpable. I looked around my brothers and saw that Jarick was suddenly staring off into space while Jervin and Jameson moved to flank him.

Seriously. What was going on?

"No one answered my question. What are all of you doing here?" Mom asked again, and this time, Jagger answered her.