Chapter 17. Pillars

On Sunday, I was surprised when Dad woke us all up very early in the morning and told us to wear work out clothes. When my brothers and I had all gone downstairs, we were surprised to see Harper, Misha, and Dima waiting in the family room, the smell of bacon in the air.

My brothers looked at each other then sped off to the kitchen, presumably to get the most food out of everyone. I went to Harper and asked her what was going on.

"We're going to start training," she smiled.

"Hey! Not fair!" We heard Jarick whine, right before Jagger sped out the kitchen and into the dining room, a heaping plate in his hands.

Harper giggled and I saw Dima look at her fondly.

"What do you mean training? Aren't you trained by the Royal Army?" I asked her.

She shook her head. "I mean, the five of us, as your pillars, will begin training today. It was your dad's idea."

"It's a wonderful idea, given what happened during the rogue attack," Dima put in.

"Hey! We did the best we could. She wasn't found out," Jarick said. I turned and saw that the three of them, mom and dad were in the room with us. Jagger was, I assumed, laying waste to the platter of bacon he was carrying.

"As her light, yes, you did a good job. But as we've heard how things went, only Harper and Jagger stayed by her side during the fight. The three of you entered the fray to protect that Alpha pup, and even Jagger was quick to take revenge on one of the rogues, not paying mind that Mia had only one of her protectors," Mischa told them.

They were silent. Then dad spoke.

"I regret that I've had a hand in that. I didn't teach them better when the Alpha family began teaching all the pups in the pack that their first obligation was to protect their leaders."

"I meant no offense, Prince River. We know about this rule, this has been the topic of conversation in many a dinner at the palace, which is why we are here today. Your sons need to recalibrate their minds so that their protection belongs to Princess Mia alone. In a battle, no one else should matter to them, or else, they would fail in the honor the Moon Goddess has seen fit to bestow on them," Misha explained.

"You said that this rule has been the topic of conversation? You mean this isn't normal?" I asked him.

"No, Princess," he started.

"Misha, come on. It's just Mia," I told him.

"No, Mia," he corrected with a smile. "It should be the other way around. Alphas are supposed to serve, not be served. They are supposed to ensure the protection and safety of the pack above that which they hold most precious. This practice of putting the Alpha family above the pack is an abhorrent practice that has become prevalent as of late," he explained.

"But then that means that my brothers and Harper shouldn't be valuing my life over theirs as you said-"

This time, it was Misha who cut me off.

"No, Princess. As Pillars, this is the duty we were given. Protecting you is our duty, our only duty, nothing else," he said firmly.

All of us were quiet for a minute because of the strength behind Misha's words before Dad spoke.

"Alright. Mia, in the car, you're riding with me and your mom. Kids, we've left traces of Mia's scent all around the woods. You must follow them to find her."

"Wait, dad," I said as something occurred to me just then. "How are you here? Wouldn't Alpha Andrew be suspicious as to why you're spending the day with us?"