Twenty: The Yule Ball

Isabelle could feel the shift in mood at Hogwarts over the next few weeks as the students became more and more excited for the Yule Ball. Everyone fourth year and above seemed to nearly forget about their dislike for Harry and his participation in the Tournament and instead focus on finding a date to the ball.

Harry and Ron also appeared to be at peace for the moment, neither of them having any luck finding dates of their own. The two frequently visited Isabelle during her break times for advice in asking girls out, but neither of them seemed to actually listen to what she told them.

"Harry, you can't keep complaining about not having a date if you're just going to keep rejecting every girl that asks," Isabelle said, crossing her arms as she turned away from the work that was on her desk.

Harry was sitting with his legs crossed on her bed and his longish hair falling in his face, basically sulking just like every other dateless boy was right now at Hogwarts.

"I know, but every time they ask I just panic and say no. And I don't really want to go with any of those girls. Hermione says they're only asking because I'm a champion," Harry grumbled.

"I'm not going to say she's completely wrong, but you can't know unless you say yes. Who is it that you want to go with?" Isabelle said.

"I was thinking about maybe asking Cho Chang."

Isabelle knew who Cho Chang was. She was a very pretty, very popular fifth year Ravenclaw and was brilliant in charms. She could see how difficult that would be, since she was hardly ever seen alone.

"Cho Chang? She doesn't have a date yet?" Isabelle asked.

Harry shrugged. "I don't know if she does or not."

"Well don't wait too long, a girl like her is sure to have a line of boys wanting to ask her," Isabelle said. "At least have a backup plan if she says no."

"Maybe I could just ask Hermione to go with me then," Harry shrugged again.

Isabelle bit her lip and turned away from him, pretending to sort some papers on her desk and knowing she was a horrible liar. Hermione and Ginny had already come by a few days prior and told her the news that Viktor Krum had asked her and she said yes. She assumed that Hermione hadn't told Ron and Harry, and Isabelle wasn't going to be the one to do so.

"Yeah, maybe."

"Well, thanks for the advice, Iz," Harry said as he stood from her bed and made his way out of her room. "I'll let you know what happens."

"Goodnight, Harry," Isabelle smiled until he was gone, then let out a deep sigh as she returned to the essays she was grading.

The last week before Christmas break was coming to an end, and Isabelle continued to hear the latest news and gossip about the Yule Ball. Turns out, Cho Chang did already have a date, and it was none other than Cedric Diggory, the admittedly handsome Hufflepuff champion Isabelle had played Quidditch with ever since her third year. Harry and Ron also found out that Hermione already had a date, too, and Harry ended up asking Parvati Patil, who said yes, and set up her sister with Ron.

During that time, she received a letter from Charlie. It was the first time she had heard from him since the incident before the first task.

Isabelle,

I was happy to hear from Bill that you two talked it out and he realized I would never come onto his girl like that. Especially you, you're scary. I was so relieved, I thought he was actually going to kill me until now. I hope everything else is going well at Hogwarts, and hopefully I'll get to see you again at Christmas.