Chapter 2~I Promise

After Dumbledore's long boring speech, he dismissed us back to our dormitories. I go to get up but notice Draco completely lost in thought, sitting with a numb expression on his face deep in thought. I sit back on the long wooden bench with my back to the table and look at him. I've never seen him like this in school. Only at home with his parents when his father is around. His moods range from intense passion to aggression, and now, complete and utter sadness.

"Hey," I nudge him lightly keeping in mind how quickly his mood could change. "You okay?"

His gaze meets mine. All the anger in his eyes from the train now shredded into looks of regret and deep sorrow.

"Yeah, I'm fine let's just go to the common room." He goes to grab my hand but I pull it away.

"No, tell me what's wrong."

He groans letting his head meet the table, "Why are you so difficult?"

"I can clearly tell somethings bothering you." I insist, placing my hand on his back rubbing soothing circles.

He places his head on my shoulder concealing his face. "I'm just tired that's all." He mumbles in my robe sleeve. "Let's go back to the common room."

I know he isn't being completely honest with me but I chose not to press him about it. We walk back to the common room in complete silence. When we arrive I take note when Draco doesn't invite me to his dorm after kissing me on the cheek and biding a goodnight.

Choosing to ignore it, I make my way to my private room, a perk to being a Prefect and Slytherin Head Girl. I change into my nightclothing, curling onto the soft satin sheets allowing slumber to overtake me.

~

It was deeply upsetting when I found out my father wouldn't be teaching potions this year. But on the bright side, he finally gets to teach DADA like he'd always wanted.

Although I am not the biggest fan of Slughorn, at least he was a fellow Slytherin. Draco's in this class with me, but Pugface is here too. Draco stands in the corner of the room with the rest of the students while Parkinson stares at him, I swear her pupils turn into hearts every time she sees him.

I turn to Draco and see him zoning out again. I nudge him giving him a look to ask if he's okay. He nods wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me in close. Resting his forehead on the top of my head.

Not that I minded his sudden need for closeness, but displaying any sort of affection specifically in public was out of touch for her.  

Potter and Weasely come stumbling into class without warning. 

"Harry, my boy, I've been beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see." Slughorn acknowledges them.

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions. A menace, actually so. I'm probably just gonna"

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." He says welcoming them into the class.

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron." I roll my eyes at the two boys looking back at Draco who's zoned out again.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard. Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir." I roll my eyes at the bushy hair know-it-all. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell... Freshly mown grass and new parchment and... Spearmint toothpaste." I roll my eyes at her obvious crush on the only redhead in the room.

"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room."

I watch as Pansy eyes the potion approaching it with a few other girls. I can smell it from where I'm standing.

Citrus, Mahogany, Quidditch Equipment, and a very specific cologne.

It's good to know I smell my boyfriend. Speaking which I nudge his arm trying to get his attention back. He shoots me a look and I nod my head to the Amortentia. He looks at it and then back at me with a slight smirk but quickly drops back to being sad.

There's one potion he hasn't introduced which little Miss Katie Bell had to point out as if he wasn't going to talk about it.

When Slughorn tells us it's Liquid Luck Draco's head snaps up towards the potion with a look of determination.

What does he need Liquid Luck for?

Slughorn is making us brew Draught of the Living Dead to be allowed to have a chance at getting Liquid Luck.

I can hear Hermione yelling at Harry for not doing it correctly. I let out a low chuckle.

I look over at Draco who's concentrating hard, but still sad.

"Draco." I whisper, he looks up at me, "Are you sure you're okay?"

I can tell he sees the concern written across my face.

"I'm fine Aurora," No he's not, he always calls me nickname. Never my first name. "I just really need that potion."

I can see he's not telling the whole truth, he's good at potions he's never had to try super hard in his life. So why now?

I stop mixing my potion and get closer to him grabbing his hand that's holding the knife.

"Hey," I say softly, he releases his grip on the knife as I place my hand on his left hand. He flinches at my touch. "Tell me what's wrong?"

"Nothing okay." He snaps.

"Drac-"

"I said I'm fine now drop it." He releases my hand picking back up the knife and cutting the ingredients harshly.

I roll my eyes and go back to making my potion. Which was terminally pointless because Saint Potter ended up with a perfect batch, while no one, not even Granger got the potion correct. The jealousy being evident on her face.

Everyone slowly claps except all the Slytherins.

Draco's standing with his hands in his pockets with a glum face not even paying attention. I'm on his right with Pansy on his left standing a little too close for comfort.

Slughorn dismisses the class and I grab Draco's arm pulling him out of class and down a corridor to be alone.

When I turn to face him, he's not even looking at me. Just down at the ground. The fact that he looks so depressed is making me depressed.

"Drac, what happened this summer?" I ask knocking him out of whatever trance he was in.

"Nothing." He mutters. Still avoiding eye contact.

I grab his face forcing him to look at me, "Talk to me."

He grabs my wrists pulling them off him, "If I wanted to talk about something I would, but since there's nothing wrong, you're annoying me with all your constant questioning." His frustration boiled over.

"Well sorry, I'm concerned about my boyfriend. Godric forbid I let you pitch yourself off the astronomy tower." I spat out at him. His face relaxes realizing the depth of my worry for him.

"Is that what this is about?" His face softens, "I'm not going anywhere. I can't." He wraps his around me resting his head on mine. "I love you and thanks for being concerned, but I'm totally fine."

I let out a heavy breath relaxing into his arms. "Promise me if something does end up being wrong, you'll tell me." I mumble into his chest.

"I promise." He sighs.