Chapter Four

Present Day
Alexandria's POV

"Were you going to tell me before or after you left Beth's apartment?" Christian scolds me down the phone line. Noah and I have been living with Frankie's friend Beth and her husband for the last two years.

"Watch the tone cousin."

"I'm serious Allie. Two years ago you demand I rescue you telling me you found Noah's father and now suddenly you are moving to Vegas?"

"I appreciate everything you have done for me but I'm bored. I found a job, a good one and I'm making a life for Noah and I."

"He hasn't stopped looking for you." Christian says and my gut twists. "Every day I throw him off the scent. If you start working he will track you down."

"Sylvester was never the Ferraro I was hiding from."

I didn't handle the situation well, I know that but in the moment I didn't know what else to do. Running away wasn't my smartest decision but hey, neither was shacking up with some guy on New Years Eve in a foreign country.

I miss Sylvester like crazy. For the first six months I cried every night. He was real, a real love and I let him go, I left him.

"Tell me you are safe."

"I'm safe Chris. I have dropped Noah and our stuff off at our new apartment and I'm off to present a tasting menu to my new boss."

"You're cooking again?"

"Head chef at the Carmichael Grand in Las Vegas."

"I'm proud of you Allie. I don't agree and I still think you should have confronted Jonathan Ferraro but I love you and I'm proud of you."

"Love you too."

I hang up as I pass through the doors and into the air conditioning of the five star Vegas hotel and resort.

"Ms Romano?" A man in a suit and an earpiece clarifies before leading me to the kitchen. I'm in awe when I enter the stainless steel heaven and get to work. Completely in my element I end up with a six course tasting menu.

"Mr Carmichael was called away. He sent his daughter." The man with the earpiece says before a gorgeous red head pushes her way into the kitchen.

"Flip, it smells good in here!" She grins and I relax. "Thanks Carter, I've got it." The man with the earpiece leaves and she turns to me, hand extended. "Anna, it is nice meet you."

"Allie, you too."

Anna wastes no time trying every plate and falls back onto a stool with a moan.

"That is serious awesome. I guess here are the business questions, are you sure you want to work for dad? I'll pay you triple just to cook for me all the time. I'm an average cook my husband would love the change." She laughs.

"You're married?"

"Going on three years." She smiles. "You?"

"Not married, just me and my son, he is nine."

"Oh nice! Marc would love a horde of children but I'm maintaining our relaxed adult lifestyle for a little while longer. It is not my fault he is an old man."

"Do you need any other examples of my work or anything else in general?" I ask and she smiles.

"Just the promise that you'll be my new best friend."

"Sure." I can't help but laugh.

"You won't regret it. I may not be a great cook but I'm handy. Want to go off the grid? I can wipe you from existence. No one would find you." She smiles as she says it but I'm honestly considering it although it might not be wise to tell the daughter of my new boss that I'm running from the Italian Mafia.