FLAPPER GIRL

❝All those people, all those lives,where are they now?❞— The Smiths, Cemetery Gates

where are they now?❞
The Smiths, Cemetery Gates

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

LIKE EVERY INHABITANT of Button House – the derelict, stately manor tucked somewhere in the English countryside – Effie Connolly got here by losing her life. The exuberant flapper girl didn't ask to reside here for however long eternity is. Good grief, had she known she would be haunting this place for almost a century now, she might have dragged herself out of the garden gates with her dying breath!

In all her ninety-something years of death, all Effie wishes for is some excitement in Button House... and by that she means human excitement, from living beings. Not that of the other ghosts she's stuck in purgatory with — frankly she's sick to death of the same faces all the time. Although, she supposes, it's better company than nothing; even if it is made up of a melodramatic Regency poet, a regime-oriented WWII captain, a Boy Scout leader with a heart of gold, and a witch trial victim smelling vaguely of burnt toast... just to name a few.

Finally at some point in the 21st century, Effie presumes (she stopped counting some time in the 1940s), the elderly owner Lady Heather Button finally pops her clogs. And what's more, it looks like there might be hope for positive change when the young, fresh-faced Coopers inherit the estate (even if they are dressed rather oddly to her taste). But, to the horror of she and the other ghosts, Effie might get what she bargained for and more when they hear the couple's plans to turn the house into the most dreaded thing... a hotel.

There's only one thing for it: the ghosts will have to intervene. And ironically, they'll soon find it was the best decision they ever made, when Alison Cooper through a series of chaotic events gains the ability to see and hear them too...

C A S T . . .

Carey Mulligan stars as...
EFFIE CONNOLLY