[ 003 ] the clairvoyant

CHAPTER THREEthe clairvoyant

CHAPTER THREE
the clairvoyant

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

TO SAY THAT the ghosts are infuriated over Julian's accident is an understatement.

     Huddled agitatedly in Alison's room, with her lying injured — possibly fatally — outside, they stare expectantly at Julian, whilst he stammers through his usual question-averting nonsense.

"Right, now let me be absolutely clear..." says Julian, once he can get a word in edgeways over their scrutiny.

"Did you push her?" the Captain asks.

"Well, now, the thing you have to understand is—"

"Julian, we both know this is a yes or no question," Effie complains with a roll of her eyes. "Honestly. I was literally right behind you when it happened."

Everyone dissolves into another melding of chatter, interrogating Julian further. Stood by the window, Effie glances down at Mike knelt at Alison's side. Her eyes have started to open a crack, groggy and discombobulated from the fall. Slowly, her gaze drifts up to the window — and to Effie's surprise, she watches Alison squint as if she has spotted something. Instinctively, she looks over her shoulder, but only finds her ghostly housemates.

What is she looking at? It's obviously not them, so that eliminates a lot of options...

Julian is still going on. "I took a decision to—"

"Pushy or no pushy?" Robin interjects, getting straight to the point.

"Robin, let me ask you this. You know, what was the context?"

"ANSWER THE QUESTION, DAMN YOUR EYES!" Thomas demands thunderously, with such a force that it leaves the other ghosts wide-eyed and perplexed for a few moments, including himself.

"Thomas, I'm trying to answer the question, if you would let me finish," Julian sighs in annoyance and straightens his tie. "Now, look here. A sacrifice was made for the greater good. We wanted her out of the house, didn't we?"

Effie opens her mouth to speak, but is overtaken by Fanny barging to the front of the group — it is only now that she notices just how upset she seems. "This has either killed her or scared her off," she argues in a fluster, "You don't just do that to someone. What kind of of coward would push a lady out of the window?"