I missed you

Boards creaked under my feet. The smell of fish reeked in the air. The Lost Revenge was every bit a forgotten pirate ship.

Pirates moved about the ship. Cleaning, laughing, all in our traditional sea-worthy garb. They were up and down the rope ladders, like birds, beyond caring about earthly matters. I smiled, watching them, remembering the absolute freedom that some from that height-the swinging of ropes, that watchful eyes, hanging off with little more than five ringed fingers to support you. Some of them were so high they were dark blurs, mitch matched patchwork of colored leathers mixed in. The crow's nest was always one of my favorite spots on the ship- just me and Cotton's parrot, surveying the endless sea. 

"Gil"! Uma yelled from my side There was a loud clamber from the other side of the ship, followed by a barrel rolling halfway across the deck. 

"Coming!" Gil appeared, brown jacket and yellow face paint. He panted when he reached her- literally panted. Like a dog, the ones we used to compare him to. Loyal as fuck, slightly stupid, and kind enough to make your heart melt out of your chest. 

Uma tapped her foot. "Anything to report?" Maybe she didn't have a heart.

"No, captain, Ma'am." He soluted sloppily. 

She smiled. "Good." Her hand reached out, and she wiped some of the paint off his face. "Yellow. Fitting. Jonas trying out some new looks?" 

He nodded enthusiastically." Yeah!" He stopped, his view finally drifting to me. "I know you- My dad's Gaston? Red coat, black hair?"

I smiled. "Hi, Gil."

His eyes widened. "Jackie? Oh my gosh, Uma, did you see Jackie? She's back!" He turned to the rest of the ship. "Guys! Jackies back!"

He turned back around and grabbed my arm. "Why did you go? I missed you so much! Oh my gosh, you missed it! I got older! I'm almost the tallest one here now! And Uma's got a crew, and I'm second mate, so I'm in charge when Uma and Harry aren't here! I never got a cat, though- did you get a cat? Where's Stone?"

I grabbed Gil's arm, the one that was holding mine, with my free hand. "I didn't have a choice ta leave, sorry mate. And sorry about missin' ya growing, you're very tall now. Nice job on second mate- I didn't get a cat, and I still need to find Stone."

 He sighed wistfully. "I want a cat, but dad's allergic..."

I peeked back at the rest of the boat. Most of them were watching us by now. Gil gets off on tangents sometimes, it's a miracle the two of us can follow each other's trains of thought. But I don't want to appear soft. And I wasn't, for anyone other than Gil and a choice few others. Yes, he can be a pain and not know when to shut his mouth, but he's also adorable and deserves the world. 

I dropped his hands and pates his shoulder, stopping his flow of words. "Thats great Gil, catch up more later, okay?"

He gave a big grin and nodded. Uma pushed him back a bit and turned to the crew. "In case you missed this oaf's declaration, this is Jackie. Sparrow. She will be joining Harry as one of my first mates." I stood up straighter. 

"Objection, your captainess."

Uma snorted and turned. "What?"

The teen, a short, black-haired girl I vaguely recognized, gulped and continued. "This girl- none of us have seen her before. How do you know she's qualified? And based on that," she gestured to Gil, "interaction alone, I doubt she's skilled or proficient."

I snarled and pulled duel knives out of two pockets on my legs. "I'll show ya proficient..."

"Stop!" Uma's voice rang out and I held back begrudgingly. "Desiree is correct. You want proof?" All of the pirates in my vision nodded. "You'll get proof. Jackie will fight Harry tomorrow at noon, to prove herself worthy of first mate. Any further objections?"