CH 17: What Happened

Chapter 17: What Happened (Liv's POV)

After we left the Wolfe house we came back to Silver Crescent's Packhouse. I know Jace is trying to find Oliver. We search their shared floor. Oliver is nowhere to be found. His scent is faint. He hasn't been here since yesterday morning. Was it just a few hours ago that everything was okay?

Jace has barely said a word since we left. I know he is caught up in his own head. He cares for Leigh. But I notice now that it's more than that. As his Queen, he worships her. As someone who was raised as his sister, he is very overprotective of her. He wants to throttle Ollie. So do I, but he is still my brother. Still my twin. I can't let Jace hurt him.

Jace leaves me in our apartment here to go talk to the Pack. I crawl into bed and try to reach out to Ollie. It takes me an hour but he finally responds.

"What Liv." He growls at me.

"Ollie are you okay."

"Did you know?" he asks ignoring my question.

"No, I found out the same time you did." He is quiet for a moment. All I can make out is his heavy breathing. "Ollie are you okay."

"A couple of broken ribs. She hits harder than an Alpha. Fuck."

"Who Leigh?"

"Don't say her name. Please Liv."

"What did you do? What did you say to her."

"It doesn't matter. I did what I had to. I had to break her. It was the only way." He responds in a broken voice, then cuts off the connection.

I lay there until Jace came back. He crawls in behind me wrapping his arms around my waist. I turn over and buried my face into him. "You okay, Angel. I'm sorry I left you for so long. I know this is hard on you too."

"He's so upset. He is hurting so bad right now."

Jace pulls back from me with a frown on his face. "You spoke to him?"

"Briefly. He cut the conversation short."

"Liv, Angel, Do you know what he said to Leigh?"

"I don't know. He just said he had to break her. That it was the only way." Jace rolls onto his back staring up at the ceiling. His jaw taunt. I know he's upset and trying not to take it out on me. "When you find him please don't kill him."

I hear him blow out a long breath of air. "He could have gotten us all killed Liv. You don't understand. If Leigh hadn't had control of Jade, we would all have been smashed to pieces. No explanation just death. I should know. She almost killed me during her first shift."

"Please Jace. He is my brother."

He makes no promises but asks, "If he talks to you again, I need to know what he said to her. I need to fix this. I'm not going to wait four years this time." He kisses the top of my head and relaxes into bed while pretending to sleep. I know he's not but I'm not going to press him right now. I snuggle into his chest feeling his arms tighten on me. Leaving me as his anchor.

He's lost his best friend and his Queen today. What I fail to understand is that as close as Ollie and he were that wasn't the best friend he lost. Leigh has always been his best friend. When he fucked up with me, she was the one there for him. She has been there his whole life and he has been there for her. Even when they weren't friends they were still family.

I awake the next morning to an empty bed. There is a note left on his pillow for me. It says, "I have to find him. I love you, Angel. Thank you for not running."