4 | Revivals

Wrapping his hand around Marwah's holding the sword, the newlyweds cut the four-layered cake as the crowd of guests clapped to joy

"Here," Mohammad whispered near her ear as he brought a small bite to her lips.

The bride's eyes were on him as she opened her mouth for the piece of cake, her lips curved in a smile as she swallowed.

Cutting a small piece for him, she brought it to his lips as he too tasted the sweetness of the red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting.

Meanwhile, Assaf and his best friend were sitting on one of the tables nearby, eyeing the desserts they had on their plate.

"How do you eat this?" he questioned, looking at Majid. "Do I use a spoon or just my hands?"

Majid looked up, dropping the spoon he used to scoop his Kunafah before looking at his best friend pointing at the Gulab jamun in his plate.

"Like this," he grabbed the ball of sweetness between his thumb and forefinger, bringing it to his mouth and taking a bite in half before placing it back in his plate and licking off his syrup-covered fingers.

Assaf did as he saw, taking a small bite as a taste test. "Woah," he said in pleasant surprise, nodding as he eyed the rest of the sweet he had to devour. "This is good."

Majid grinned at his best friend, taking an entire Gulab jamun in his mouth before moving to the Basbousa he had in his plate as well.

Assaf knew he had to throw his diet away for the day. Getting up, he went to the serving tables to grab more Gulab jamuns and Baklava.

Devouring the sweets, he was done when his mind went back to what happened earlier, remembering his realisation.

Lamia was his stepsister.

There was no doubt that it was true. She looked frightened when he told her the truth, and he knew that was fairly how he felt too when his father dropped the bomb on him. He had controlled whatever he wanted to say as he had reached Majid's house.

But he couldn't help one thought from consuming his mind.

I saw her leave all alone. Is she safe? Is she okay?

Before he could wonder further, the crowd had dispersed and quietened down a little, making room on the aisle for the bride and groom to leave.

Mohammad took Marwah's hand in his, eyes twinkling with love as they walked down the aisle towards the gate, the guests all surrounding them till they reached the car embellished with flowers and a just married pasted below a golden ribbon.

It was until they reached their vehicle that Marwah voiced the question Assaf was dreading to hear all along.

"Where's Lamia?"