My Boggart Reads Me A Story

Apparently, the Malfoys could lock her up forever– or as good as.

Ariadne had not been allowed to return to Diagon Alley to visit Harry, not even to get her books, nor to meet up with Ron and Hermione to travel to the platform together. Instead, she was sent to her room for the remainder of the holiday, allowed out for meals and to be subject to Lucius's glares and Narcissa's disappointed sighs. It was only a month, but it was a month with no letters and no conversation unless Draco was feeling particularly bored. And Draco was very rarely particularly bored.

As a result, Ariadne was counting down the days until September 1st. When the morning finally did arrive, she was up and dressed before Mimsy even arrived to open her curtains. By the time she did finally get to the station, however, she was still alone. Draco had gone off with his friends, and although Ariadne looked around for the familiar sight of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, or even the more identifiable sight of a flock of red-haired Weasleys, she had no luck.

Instead, however, she watched as a small blonde shuffled back and forth in front of one of the train entrances before steeling herself and stepping on. Ariadne walked over and entered the same way, finding Astoria hovering in front of a full compartment. Her brows were furrowed as she gnawed mindlessly on a fingernail. Across the way was Ron, Harry, and Hermione's usual compartment of choice, occupied instead by one sleeping man that Ariadne had not seen before. So they weren't on the train yet, either.

"Hey, Tori," Ariadne greeted, working to keep her excitement at bay.

"Ariadne!" Astoria grinned, tension leaving her shoulders and nail leaving her mouth. She looked at her thumb guiltily. "It's a bad habit, I know. Mother's tried every trick in the book to get me to stop, but it comes back when I'm nervous. And I am– nervous, I mean. I'm trying to work up the courage to sit with Daphne and her friends, but they've already gone off and, I mean, they're just so intimidating to walk in on alone."

Astoria's eyes brightened as soon as she finished rambling, straightening up and smiling at Ariadne sweetly.

"Absolutely not," Ariadne said, preemptive in her refusal.

"Please, Ariadne," Astoria begged, blue eyes wide and pleading. Ariadne looked back once more at the still-empty compartment that Harry, Ron, and Hermione usually claimed for themselves.

"Alright," she sighed, "but I can't promise I'll stay the whole time."

"Oh thank you, thank you! I just need you to help me get through the door, really. Daphne would turn me out the second I walked in if I was alone."

Ariadne took a deep breath and opened the doors to Draco and company's compartment, Astoria trailing after her with a happy grin.

"Hi, Draco," Astoria waved shyly.

"Hello," Draco responded sullenly, though Astoria beamed as though he had just declared his love. He turned to Ariadne with a sneer. "What are you doing here," he said flatly.

"Oh, you know," she began. "Just, er, thought I'd sit with you all for a moment. Hello, everyone," she greeted. Daphne and Blaise nodded coolly in return, while Nott sent her a smirk. Pansy harrumphed grumpily at her presence, establishing her place at Draco's side and running a hand through his blonde hair. She looked Ariadne in the eye as she did so, as if staking her claim. Uh, gross.

"So, Ariadne," Blaise addressed casually, leaning back into his seat. "Has daddy gotten in touch yet?" The rest of the Slytherins laughed.

"Not yet, Blaise." Ariadne responded with a grin, white teeth sharp and on display. "Has yours?"

No one laughed this time, though Ariadne could have sworn she saw Draco's eyes flash with approval. It wasn't until Blaise himself laughed, quietly at first and then a full-on chuckle, that Daphne and Astoria allowed themselves to join in.