Chapter seven

I started with the slicers. He seemed nice enough, didn't really like a "girl" doing a job like that. Well, he liked his job way too much anyway.

He was basically in charge of raising animals- which I like- and then slaughtering them-which I don't. First I fed the pigs, and they munched up their food happily.

I wonder where they were before this life? I wonder if they had their memories, and imagine if they could tell us what's going on. Winston walked over to me, an knife in hand, "time for the dirty work," he said, smirking. I frowned, but proceeded.

He killed the pig himself, then asked me to skin it. To his surprise I took the knife and began. As much as I disliked it, it's survival. The pigs purpose was to be food, and we need it for energy to find a way out.

After I had completely finished, I looked over the pig once more, to make sure I didn't miss any. Winston sputtered, "next we have to cut it in slices but I'll-"

My knife slicing down silenced him. I began cutting up the carcass, more blood spilling on the red floors. I grimaced, but thought at how much repeat I'll gain at a 'girl' doing the dirty work. When I finished, 20 minutes early, he excused me. Before I left I questioned him.

"How does this job thing work?" I asked. He looked up at me, "after trying all the jobs, one of the keepers chooses you," he explained. "You're pretty good at this," he added. I faced him, "I understand, but please don't choose me. I really don't want to be doing this for who knows how long," I sighed. He nodded.

I went outside to play with a dog they had there. I was comforted by the companionship. His name, Bark, was amusing for a quiet dog. Also, it put on quite a show when the gladers called him. I died laughing when me and bark ran into the trees, to watch a bunch of gladers clapping and whistling while yelling, "BARK! BARK!"

My hiding spot must've been discovered because cracking behind me alerted my ears. Bark turned around, his ears perking up. "So you enjoy making fools of them?"

It was newt.

I had still not exactly forgiven him for our... Disagreement. "I'm sorry," he sputtered, "I should've known how hard this is for you," he explained. I looked up at him, "newt I understand, yeah I'm new, but that doesn't mean I can't have opinions on the obvious," I exclaimed, getting up and walking, bark trotting besides.
The deadheads seemed to calm me as newt caught up from behind. He grabbed my shoulder, turning me around. "I get it, you're worried about Minho and Adam... I'm sorry about accusing him of being your boyfriend," he sighed, looking down.

"Newt that was really over the line," I dated blankly.

"I know," he whispered. "Understand, that all I can remember of life, is two three days. Three days," I sighed.

"I barely know you guys but yet, you're all I know," I struggled, trying to put it in words, "you get me?" I asked.

He looked straight into my eyes, "I've been having that exact conversation with myself for the past two years," he stated. "At least you have 2 years," I grumbled.

He scoffed, chuckling underneath his breathe, "two years of hell," he whispered, and I wasn't sure I was meant to hear.

Barks head appeared under my hand as he pushed a stick into it. I looked down to find an eager dog, tail on hyperdrive, butt wiggling and all. I laughed and newt beamed at me. I threw the stick, and bark went to get it.

Newt looked at me, but I tried not to look back. Why make it more awkward then it needs to be?

Bark returned, stick in tow, till "BARK! BARK!" Made him turn and run to the farmhouse. "Come on," newt motioned, "runners should be back,"

I waited by the doors with newt. The silhouettes of Minho and Adam. The sweating figures emerged, into the glade, pausing to catch their breath. I ran over to them. "Are you hurt, tell me if you're in pain," I demanded, inspecting there bodies, lifting arms and poking. They started laughing, Adam pulling me into a hug. "Now you get the hug of doom," he said, his sweaty body overwhelming mine.

I pushed him away, cringing, but laughing all the same. Newt went on with his business, and I waited in front of the maps room for Minho and Adam. I was curious about what was inside.

I would ask Adam later.

Playing with a blade of grass I listened tot eh sounds around me. Not once did I hear a bird, or a cricket, or a frog. I pondered the thought, until the door flung open and Adam and Minho bounded out. Adam grabbed my hand, helping me to my feet.

Minho went to find newt, so me and Adam walked over to frypan ourselves. We had a heavy meal, beef from the pig I had skinned that day, and talked about what I should expect from different jobs.

I night came quickly, the doors closed, and I went to newts room. I slid into my sleeping bag and newt in his bed. We spent a full 10 minutes arguing who was going where, him insisting on me sleeping in the bed, and me disagreeing.

He finally grumbled a response and lay down. "Goodnight newt," I called.

"Goodnight Joanie," he chuckled.