Obanai x Tanjiro (8)

Requested by: PlayGirlNina

R-18

Secrets behind the scent.

I hate to put this, but this is a spoilers warning. It is mostly about Obanai's back story, but since the anime hasn't reached there yet, I have to put one. I will change it just a little to fit the story though.

Obanai really liked Mitsuri, he liked her pretty gradient hair, he liked her cheerful smile, he really just liked her as a person in general. She was so happy all the time, Obanai couldn't help but fall in love with her.

He would buy as much socks that she wanted, he would by as much food as she wanted-- As long as she was happy, he was too.

Shinobu was not for him, Giyuu was too lonely and cold, Rengoku was too loud-- None of the hashiras couldn't really get close to him, aside from Mitsuri herself.

He couldn't find a right friend he could let his guard down to.

Well, that was because he only looked at the ones closest to him.

He was definitely stunned when he saw how passionate and overwhelmingly aggressive Tanjiro was during the trial. He made a mental note to keep Tanjiro away from himself, and Ms. Kanroji, for, he did not want Ms. Kanroji to be influenced by him.

Well, he... did not really take a liking to Tanjiro.

At first.

"Master Ubuyashiki, what do you even see in him? Protecting a demon is against the rules, I understand that his sister refused Sanemi's blood, but that doesn't account for himself." Obanai questions softly.

Kagaya softly hums a gentle tune, "What do you mean?"

"He could make the same mistake twice if he's not careful." He continued, "And, if he also decides to carry a demon that doesn't resist to human blood..."

Kagaya smiled, "We'll see then. If he's smart enough to differentiate between kind and evil, I'm sure he won't make that mistake."

And with that, the meeting was finished.

The way the trail ended left a bitter taste in Obanai's mouth. He wasn't really satisfied with Tanjiro's outcome, since he believes that Tanjiro should be punished more... severely. But, as long as they don't cross paths with Mitsuri and him, he would have nothing to say.

That is well, if they don't cross paths.

The thing is, they did.

It was well-- very awkward at first, with Tanjiro not really sure what to say to him.

Hello?

How are you?

Would you want me to follow you...?

Tanjiro couldn't make up his mind. Obanai is a very strict, self-loathing individual, and could only see Tanjiro as a weakling who is incapable to able to improve. It most certainly surprised him when Tanjiro turned up alive when he left him to fight a demon on his own.

"I'm sorry I took so long, sir." He winced, "I just..."

What else could he say to Obanai? That he was a bit tired? That he was a bit injured? No! He couldn't do that... because, it would only make Obanai dislike him more.

And he didn't want that.

"I'm sorry I'm so weak. I-- I'll try my best next time!"

Obanai just nods, humming a monotone tune, before turning away to walk off. Tanjiro tailed right behind him, making sure not to stray too far off.