Introduction

A U G U S T 1 8, 1 9 7 7

"Please Beatrice. Please promise me that he will be cared for." The man held the small, stirring bundle in his arms, lovingly. His face twisted in fear and sorrow. He didn't want to push his only son into the care of someone other than his own parents, even if it was a close friend

But he had no choice. It was either leave him, or let him die.

"Of course, I give you my word. He will be loved and cherished." The old woman took the tiny baby into her frail arms. The little bundle blinked slowly, looking up at this kind, elderly face that his three-month old mind couldn't recognize. The old woman, Beatrice, stared deeply into the shining, liquid-silver pools that were the babies eyes. "He has your eyes Devon. His father's eyes, but his mothers face."

"Yes..." he said glumly nodding. "D-don't tell him anything of the magical world. Don't tell him about Yultelts, don't tell him about his parents having abilities, don't tell him about your ability, just don't tell him a thing. He needs to be safe. He can't know about magic. If he finds out...he'll be in serious danger." Devon looked about him as if he half-expected someone to pop out at any moment. "I have to go. I'll put you in harms way if I stay any longer." He whispered, voice quivering. Quickly, he planted a kiss on his son's, small forehead. The little baby cooed in response. "I'm sorry Mal, I'm sorry I have to leave but...just know Dada loves you and Mama loves you, more than you could ever imagine. If you ever feel alone, know we'll always be with you. Keep safe, be brave and never give up on the things you love okay?" He gave a weak smile as his son's hand grabbed at his nose. Devon straightened. Beatrice glanced at him with knowing eyes. She knew of the danger the young Ellewood family was in. Libitina had found their trail and wasn't going to stop hunting until she killed them. All of them.

Beatrice almost didn't notice there was someone of vital importance missing.

"Where's Eve?" She asked, watching as tears welled in Devon's eyes. She didn't need Devon to answer. "No." She breathed in disbelief "Not Evangeline."

"I have to go. I'm going to kill her, for what's she's taken from me. What's she's done." His eyes flashed dangerously.

"But Devon she's a Whisp! You're a Jumper! You don't stand a chance!"

"I've made a Mind Shield." He pulled out a small vile of dark liquid. "It'll help me to block her out for awhile, and, you know I'm very good with small blades."

"Devon-"

"Don't worry about me. Please. I just need you to protect him. He's worth more to me than my own life. I'm willing to die if it means he can live."  He pleaded, his metallic eyes begging.

"Alright..." Beatrice said slowly. The old woman stood by the door as she watched the man walk away. A loud thunderclap startled her and she heard the sound of raindrops splashing on the ground. She stared at the figure who stood at the end of the walkway, drenched in rainwater.

Then he disappeared, not around a corner or into a car. Just disappeared, leaving the space he once occupied vacant. The old woman stood still for a moment, looking at that particular spot with glassy eyes. It wasn't until the little boy in her arms began to cry that she came back to reality. She had a poor, helpless, child to take care of now. She had promised him.

She promised.

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

🅲🅷🅰︎🆁🅰︎🅲🆃🅴🆁 🆃🅷🅴🅼🅴🆂

MALCOLM DEVON ELLEWOOD